[pps-news] Volunteer Appointments on PPS

Gabe Nwandu Gabe.nwandu at ucr.edu
Mon Apr 28 17:26:21 PDT 2008

PPS Users,

At the April 9, 2008 PPS Users' Group meeting, Hadley Bajramovic,
Director for the International Scholars Center distributed a handout
which stated that "departments should not require form I-9 verification
for volunteers".  Volunteers do not need to have an I-9 record since it
can jeopardize their future immigration status.  This conclusion was
reached at a recent joint meeting held by Human resources, Payroll, Grad
Division, Academic Planning and Budget and International Scholars.

The concern above only applies to non-citizens who are not eligible to
work in the United States.  We recently checked PPS and realized that
these individuals are not on PPS anyway.  As you may know, we do not
allow individuals who cannot obtain Social Security Numbers (SSN) to be
on PPS.  These non-citizens are not eligible to obtain SSN because they
do not have employment relationship with UCR.  They are tracked by
departments through the completion of the volunteer form and form I-9 is
NOT required.

I am hereby rescinding the instructions I gave you at the meeting that
"all volunteers should not be processed on PPS".  Please continue to
process volunteer appointments through PPS if the individual has a
Social Security Number or has applied for one.  This is consistent with
the instructions outlined on Volunteer Staff Appointments Without Salary
policy - P&P 650-85
(http://www.vca.ucr.edu/index.php?content=policies/viewPolicies.php&poli
cy=650-85).

Here's an excerpt from the policy, section I.C.1
To document "volunteer" employee status, it is necessary to complete a
Volunteer Register Form (Attachment B, duplicate as needed) including
the loyalty oath and patent agreement. Departments will also need to
initiate the action via Payroll Personnel System (PPS). Volunteers who
have social security numbers should be inputted via the Payroll
Personnel System (PPS), but those who do not have social security
numbers will have to be tracked manually. Individuals may not be a
volunteer when the volunteer hours involve same type of service/work
which the individual is currently employed to perform.

Please send your concerns/comments to gabe.nwandu at ucr.edu