[WFA*] Senate Elections: Get Out and Vote

Jean Helwege helwege at ucr.edu
Wed Apr 6 15:44:21 PDT 2022

Sang-Hee and members of the WFA,

I wish to point out that I am also running for the same position. It would
be a shame if the two women candidates lost because the women faculty split
their votes and the men all voted for Dylan, so I was hesitant to reach out
to WFA members. Dylan's leadership is not helpful for the average female
professor at UCR, as he is not at all interested in prioritizing issues
that are the most important to members of our group. Dylan is keen to get
involved in every topic, no matter how inconsequential, and to assign tasks
related to them to many committees. In addition, he duplicates the work by
creating ad hoc committees for issues that should be dealt with by standing
committees.

I believe CoC has finally stopped trying to make all committees have 50%
female representation, which I asked them to do via my representative. 50%
representation would be fine if half of our tenured faculty were female but
since they are not, it means women do more committee work than men. When
Dylan was chair it meant a tremendous amount of service for WFA members. It
likely is one factor explaining the low percentage of female full
professors at UCR.

My goal, if elected, is to streamline the Senate to make it more efficient.
Our time is too valuable to waste it on items that do not promote the
quality of our students' education or our ability to do research.
While I fully support Sang-Hee's right to run and I much prefer her
leadership to Dylan's, I hope the faculty realize that I am more likely to
represent their interests.

Sincerely,

Jean Helwege

UC Riverside