[SFCC] Numbers of fanzines in each SFCC member institution?

Will Hansen william.hansen at duke.edu
Tue Jul 3 07:35:53 PDT 2012

Hi all,

The fanzine collection at Duke is quite small in comparison to many of the other institutions on this list: around 1300 or so fanzines, chiefly comics-related but some SF as well.  I believe there are still some unprocessed zines in our holdings, as well, so I'd guess the actual number is somewhere over 1500.

The inventory of the processed zines can be seen at http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/findingaids/murrayzine/

We hold a larger collection of '80s-90s zines by women and girls, as well, but that is out of scope for this project.

It would be helpful to hear more about the proposed collaborative aspects of the grant.  I suspect that all or nearly all of our holdings are duplicated in the larger collections at Eaton, UMBC, Iowa, and elsewhere, so more extensive cataloging/processing of the zines here is not a priority, and grant funding would not really be needed for the number of zines we have.  However, if the grant were to propose the creation of a union list of or portal to fanzines, or to include thumbnails of issues or analyzed contents, perhaps we could assist with some info in that way if a few series or issues were not available from other institutions.

Thanks,
Will

Will Hansen
Assistant Curator of Collections
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Duke University
206F Perkins Library, Box 90185
Durham, NC 27708-0185
Phone (919) 660-5958