[SFCC] June 19, 2012 Meeting of the Science Fiction Collections Consortium

Melissa Conway melissa.conway at ucr.edu
Fri Jun 29 10:38:21 PDT 2012

Second Meeting of the Science Fiction Collections Consortium

Tuesday, June 19, 2012; 6:30-7:00 p.m. (During RBMS Welcome Reception/Tacos on the Embarcadero)

Present: Melissa Conway, Convener, UC Riverside; Kathryn Brooks, AHC, University of Wyoming; Will Hansen, Duke University; Elspeth Healey, University of Kansas;  Mary Rae Shantz, University of Toronto; Kalmia Strong, University of Iowa; Colleen Theisen.

The second meeting of the SFCC took place in the open air on the San Diego Embarcadero. The wind was brisk and the temperature rapidly dropping so we spoke quickly. The main topic of conversation was the feasibility of joining together to pursue a grant to provide bibliographic and digital access to our fanzine collections. After introducing ourselves, we succinctly discussed the holdings in our separate collections through our chattering teeth.  Those of us with fanzines agreed that we would like to examine the possibilities of a grant--our administrators permitting,  but as we wrapped ourselves more tightly in blankets we decided to continue the conversation electronically, which will also allow other consortium members to participate.

The meeting was adjourned after Melissa Conway reminded the SFCC members that the 2013 Eaton Science Fiction Conference, "SF in Media" would take place in Riverside, California April 11-13, 2012. The conference website will go live in the coming week and all are invited to attend and/or to submit an abstract for a presentation or panel. A panel to showcase SFCC collection holdings is a possibility.

Respectfully submitted,

Melissa Conway

Melissa Conway, Ph. D.

Head, Special Collections & Archives