[RPA-PostDoc] Call for volunteers to teach Learning Community (LC) Seminars

postdoc . postdoc at ucr.edu
Wed Jul 21 17:58:37 PDT 2021

CNAS is seeking postdocs who are interested in a teaching opportunity.
Specifically, we are seeking folks who can teach a 1-hr weekly course.  It
would be a great learning opportunity for postdocs interested in teaching.

Please see the email below to postdocs interested in teaching CNAS LC
seminars.  If anyone has questions, they can contact Divisional Dean Connie
Nugent.

Begin forwarded message:

Dear Faculty and Postdocs,

I'm writing to solicit additional volunteers to help teach the NASC093
faculty seminars for incoming first-year students this fall (as well as
winter).  The faculty instructors meet with students one hour each week
through the quarter, partnering with advising staff who teach the second
unit of the course.  Beyond helping our students to successfully transition
to the University, this teaching does count toward your overall teaching
load in evaluations for merits and promotions.  Our expectation is that
this small group instruction will be particularly important for this cohort
of students.

Please note, each instructor can determine their own preferred mode of
instruction for the class, and there will be a workshop in September to
share ideas for course content.

*Background*: As you know, faculty mentoring of CNAS majors provides an
important avenue to help our students start off their journey in higher
education.  Half of our students are first-generation, and I would estimate
that most do not understand research universities, the multifaceted role of
UC faculty, or the academic rigor required for earning science degrees.
Part of our strategy to improve STEM retention and graduation rates is to
engage students with faculty during their first quarter, using mechanisms
such as the Freshman Learning Community Seminars.  We have found that this
early interaction helps to break down student inhibitions about approaching
faculty for advice and consultation, reducing the “mystique” of what UC
faculty are all about. I would note that the course can also serve as a
recruiting mechanism to get talented undeclared students interested in
undersubscribed majors.

Please contact Connie Nugent (at studentdeancnas at ucr.edu) by July 26th if
you are interested in volunteering to teach one or more sections of the
course this fall or if you have questions.

*Riverside Postdoctoral Association (RPA)*
Exec Board

Find the RPA Agenda, Job openings & Much more on the website!

https://rpa.ucr.edu/

Follow us:

   UC Riverside     @UCRPostdoc      ucrpostdoctoral
    Postdoctoral