[pps-news] Notes from the PPS Users Group Meeting - March 10, 2010

Gabe Nwandu gabe.nwandu at ucr.edu
Mon Mar 15 18:26:19 PDT 2010

To:     PPS Users,

Fr:     Payroll Office

Re:     Notes from the PPS Users Group Meeting - March 10, 2010

A.      Form I-9 documentation process - Heidie Rhodes (Human Resources)

Generally, employers must complete section 3 when updating and/or re-verifying form I-9.  If a current employee's work authorization is about to expire, a re-verification is required.  Block B of section 3 must be completed and the document that reflects that the employee should continue working need to be examined.  Record the document title, document number and expiration date (if any) in block C; and complete the signature block.  During the presentation, Heidie was also asked about expiring/expired drivers licenses.  Heidie provided the following response after the meeting.

 "In response to the questions about re-verifying in cases where the employees DL has expired, I can confirm that we may not re-verify an expired U.S. passport or passport card, an Alien Registration Receipt Card/Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551), or a List B document (DL on List B) that has expired, as these documents provide citizenship or permanent residence status, or confirm identity only, but not employment authorization.   Payroll Assistants may want to establish a calendar call-up sys-tem for employees whose employment autho-rization (or evidence of employment authoriza-tion) will expire in the future.  However, it's important to note that ALL documents must be unexpired for a newly hired employee".  The link to form I-9 is available through the Payroll Office website at: http://www.accounting.ucr.edu/payroll.htm <http://www.accounting.ucr.edu/payroll.htm> .  Click on "New Hire Forms" and select form I-9.

B.       Academic DOS codes - Karen Hruby (Academic Personnel)

Karen announced that UCOP created a new DOS code 'OLS' to pay for 'Additional/Overload' teaching during the regular academic year (not Summer Sessions).  DOS Code Designations for Selected Academic Activities by Title series table has been updated and available at: http://academicpersonnel.ucr.edu/policies/BYA%20DOS%20Codes%20Academic%20Personnel%20Activities%20FINAL3-10.pdf <http://academicpersonnel.ucr.edu/policies/BYA%20DOS%20Codes%20Academic%20Personnel%20Activities%20FINAL3-10.pdf> .  DOS code OLS should be used for the Professor (Assistant, Associate and Full) title series starting with the Spring quarter 2010.

C.       iReport application demo - Gabe Nwandu (Payroll)

Gabe Nwandu with the assistance of Terri McDonald (C&C) and Veronica Ruiz (AVC-Enrollment) conducted a demo of the new iReport web application.  In December 2009, Computing and Communications issued the following statements about the iReport application.

"As part of UCR's ongoing efforts to enhance administrative effectiveness and efficiencies, and with the additional goal of lessening the impact of paper printing on the environment, Finance and Business Operations (FBO) and Vice Chancellor Student Affairs (VCSA), in partnership with Computing & Communications (C&C) developed the new iReport system.  iReport is a web tool that converts reports into a digital/electronic format for ease of distribution, access and storage (these digital reports are available in formats including HTML, PDF, and Excel).  For a complete list of all reports available please visit the iReport support website at http://cnc.ucr.edu/ireport <http://cnc.ucr.edu/ireport> .

Additionally, iReport uses UCR's Centralized Authentication System (CAS) and Enterprise Access Control System (EACS) to secure and control access. Access to most reports is granted by Departmental SAAs, while some reports with secure information require the Application SAA to grant specialized access.  iReport organizes reports by repository and category; with hundreds of reports being stored, the repositories and categories provide a quick means to navigate directly to desired reports.  A search engine also provides a quick means of navigating to reports. This robust search feature allows reports to be located by report ID or key words in the descriptive title."

Gabe announced that effective April 2010 earnings, the Payroll and Human Resources offices will discontinue printing and mailing PPS paper reports to departments.  C&C is currently migrating the reports and many are now available.  When completed, the following reports will be available on iReport.  From now on, please logon to iReport to retrieve, view and print these reports as needed.  For access to iReport application, please contact your departmental SAA.

D.       Benefits Eligibility for Lecturers (750-hour rule) - Marianne Beckett (Labor Relations) and Theron Lyon (Human Resources)

We discovered that PPS may not be deriving the correct BELI codes for Lecturers especially for employees with break in service.  Please review your out-of-compliance reports appropriately and assign the correct BELI code based on the 750-hour rule.  Assigned BELI code should be based on the 'hours towards benefit eligibility' displayed on the left hand side of screen 'IHR2'.  Please advise your academic employee to enroll into the appropriate benefits coverage within their 'Period of Initial Eligibility' (PIE).  UCOP is aware of the anomaly in PPS with the derived BELI; however, we're not sure when the error will be fixed.