[Physics-grads-open] [physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Student Seminar (PASS), May 16th at 4 pm, Phys 3027

Ming-Feng Ho mingfeng.ho at email.ucr.edu
Sun May 15 20:01:00 PDT 2022

Hi all,

Below is the title and abstract for this week's Physics and Astronomy
Student Seminar (PASS):

*Title:* *Multi-Fidelity Emulation for Cosmological Inference in the Roman
Era*

*Ming-Feng Ho (University of California, Riverside)*
*Abstracts: *Next-generation telescopes (e.g., Roman space telescope) will
probe the small-scale structures of the Universe with high accuracy. Thus,
expensive high-resolution simulations are required to extract cosmological
information at these non-linear scales, making Bayesian parameter inference
impractical for future surveys. One solution is multi-fidelity emulation,
which uses simulations of varying qualities (or resolutions) to train an
accurate emulator at a much lower cost. We present the first implementation
of multi-fidelity emulation in cosmology, where we use machine learning to
model summary statistics of varying accuracies using a sequence of Gaussian
processes. We show two applications of our emulation framework: the
non-linear matter power spectrum and the Lya flux power spectrum. We
demonstrate that our multi-fidelity emulation can achieve percent accuracy
with only a few high-resolution simulations and outperform single-fidelity
emulators. Our proposed multi-fidelity emulator shows a new way to predict
non-linear scales, making the emulation development substantially more
practical for future cosmological inference problems.

Monday, May 16, 2022 at 4 pm
Physics 3027 (Nebula Room)

Details of the PASS program, please find here [Prorgam
<https://jibancat.github.io/ucr-student-seminars/program/index.html>].

We have presenters scheduled until the end of the Spring Quarter, and three
more presenters are queued in the Summer Quarter.

To submit abstracts for Summer Quarter: [Abstract Submission
<https://jibancat.github.io/ucr-student-seminars/registration/index.html>].

Hope to see you there!
Ming-Feng Ho