[Orgvpdue] Good news: UE now has academic status!

Louie F Rodriguez louie.rodriguez at ucr.edu
Fri Mar 15 15:28:04 PDT 2024

Dear UE Colleagues,

I'm happy to announce that The Academic Senate voted to accept our Bylaws, which means we are officially an academic division!  Below is some context.

  *   My predecessor, Ken Baerenklau, led UE through the process to receive Divisional status. However, its Academic status was still not finalized.
  *   One of the first things I did when I began last April was to formalize a Faculty Bylaws Committee, led by a cross-section of faculty from across the campus.
  *   The Faculty Bylaws Committee created a draft of UE's Bylaws and I submitted them to the Academic Senate on June 30, 2023.
  *   Between Fall 2023 and Winter 2024, our Bylaws were under review and after some very minor edits, we resubmitted to the Academic Senate in late Fall 2023.
  *   On February 27, 2024, the Academic Senate voted in favor of UE Bylaws.

What does this mean?

  *   UE is the only Division of Undergraduate Education within the entire UC system with Academic status. This enables the following:
  *   UE can assemble a UE Executive Committee of faculty who can review proposed UE courses; and
  *   UE can offer courses for academic credit.  To help facilitate this goal, I appointed a committee in the Fall to begin conceptualizing a couple of courses to be taught by UE.  There are at least 2-3 courses being developed and will hopefully be submitted to the UE Executive Committee (committee make up is in progress) and then to the Academic Senate for review in the next couple of months in order for the courses to be offered in Winter 2025.  Any UE courses will need to be reviewed by the UE Executive Committee.  A formal step-by-step process to propose UE courses will be developed and distributed to all of UE.

I would like to thank everyone in UE who helped with the UE Bylaws and who have been supportive of this important step for the Division.

Best,

Louie

Louie F. Rodriguez

Vice Provost and Dean