[GSAUCR] GSHIP FAQ

President GSAUCR president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Wed May 5 12:48:52 PDT 2010

Graduate Students,

As a result of some of the question GSA's Graduate Student Heath
Insurance Plan (GSHIP) committee received GSHIP survey, we have
decided to send out this email addressing commonly asked questions and
concerns. You may want to save this e-mail for future reference.

-GSHIP Committee Members

______

GSHIP  FAQ

How often is GSHIP renegotiated?
GSHIP is renegotiated every year and this year we have a different
provider than last year. We always look for the best deal possible.

How much coverage do I have?
95% of in network costs are covered and 65% of out of network costs
are covered by the Insurance.

Why are we paying to have gender reassignment surgery covered by GSHIP?
Gender reassignment surgery costs us nothing to have in the plan.

Which of the items covered in the insurance are mandated by the state
of California?
State Mandated Services include but are not limited to: HIV testing,
Mental Health service for severe cases and prescription
contraceptives. These cannot be eliminated from the plan.

Why am I being billed so many times by the hospital?
GSHIP has no control over how hospitals and health care centers bill
clients; there is no way to address this issue.

How do I deal with issues regarding Student Health Center personnel?
GSHIP has no control over how the Student Health Center personnel
interact with students. If you have an issue with the care you
receive, Carla Short is the Patient Care Advocate. She can be reached
at carla.short at ucr.edu  or (951) 827-4285. Also there are instructions
on our website at:
http://campushealth.ucr.edu/Contact+Us/Tell+Us+How+We+Are+Doing.htm

What does sexual health service cover? Just testing?
It covers sexually transmitted disease testing up to $150.  No symptoms
required.  Students just ask to be tested.

Why does Graduate Student Health Insurance cost more than Under
Graduate Health Insurance?
Although we only make up 12% of the student populations, we represent
40% of the usage of the Student Health Center. Graduate students are
also in a higher risk bracket due to stress.

Why do we need to cover mental health on the Insurance program?
Graduate students make up a large proportion of those seeking mental
health services due to the high stress associated with graduate
school. This is a necessary service and mandatory for severe mental
health issues.

If I have questions about GSHP where can I find information on the Plan?
The website for the details of GSHIP coverage is:
http://campushealth.ucr.edu/NR/rdonlyres/69B9261B-7AB8-4700-AD8C
AF880DE31184/0/UCRG_09B_print.pdf

Where can I go if I need to see a doctor outside of normal Student
Health Center hours?
   Riverside Medical Clinic Urgent Care
   7117 Brockton Avenue, Riverside, CA 92506
   (951) 782-3789
   Hours 4:30pm - 9:00pm weekdays and 9:00am - 9:00pm weekends, holidays
For an emergency outside of our office hours:

   Riverside Community Hospital
   4445 Magnolia Avenue, Riverside, CA 92501
   (951) 788-3000

   Parkview Hospital
   3865 Jackson Avenue, Riverside, CA
   (951) 688-8312