[GSAUCR] Newswire 1/12/09

President GSAUCR president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 18:31:43 PST 2009

Fellow Graduate Students,

         This is a busy week with LOTS of FREEBIES, don't miss out!!!!

1)   UCR Men's Basketball vs. CSUN

2)   HEAT Free Tickets

3)   Grad Bash

4)   Student Run Health Clinic Fundraiser

5)   Student Regent

Men's Bball UCR vs. CSUN, *Wednesday *1/14/09

Come watch the men's team battle it out with Cal State Northridge.  Tip-off
is at 7pm in the Student Rec Center and is free to Graduate Students (must
present UCR ID).  Save your ticket stub from the game and bring it to the
Grad Bash or the GSA office by Friday 1/16/08 for a chance to win an ipod
(write name and email address on reverse of ticket).

As an added bonus, Student Life is giving away free pizza for Student
Organization Night.  Members can get free pizza if they RSVP in the Student
Life Office located in Commons 229 no latter than Wednesday January 14 at
12pm. You can also call and RSVP by calling Student Life at 827-7344. All
students must arrive and check in at the basketball game located in the
Student Recreation Center Gym before Halftime to receive free pizza. You may
RSVP under GSA or under your miniGSA (if its registered with Student Life)
and come to the game.

Pre-Game Activities:

To gear up for the game we invite you to stop by the Student Life
Organization Workroom located in Commons 228 for some pre-game activities.
Pre-game activities will start at 5pm. Come make posters and pick up sprit
items to cheer on our boys Basketball team.  So come on out and show your
Highlander spirit while you meet new people and get free pizza.  Don't
forget to wear your Highlander gear!!!

Winter Grad Bash, *Thursday* 1/15/09

Time: 6pm-8pm

Location: Getaway Café, which is located in Bannockburn across from parking
lot 24

Come on out to the Getaway next Thursday for the GSA Winter Grad Bash! There
will be free pizza, salad, and breadsticks for all grad students and some
fabulous raffle prizes. Spread the word among your department. This is an
event for ALL graduate students. Don't miss out!

HEAT Free Tickets, *LAST DAYS!!!*

Students are permitted one free ticket while supplies last. We are
distributing tickets today until 8:00 PM, tomorrow 4:00-8:00 and Wednesday,
Noon-8:00 PM at the Welcome Desk outside of Panda Express.  Supplies are
anticipated to run out by Wednesday 1/14/08.  For more information, please
refer to http://heat.ucr.edu/

Student Run Health Clinic Fundraiser

SRHC has invited GSA members to participate in a fundraiser to help the
homeless.  A Banquet/Formal will be used to raise money for a student run
health clinic here in Riverside to benefit the homeless.  The program for
the event on April 5th (Sunday evening) will feature a jazz/swing band and a
catered dinner.  Tickets are likely to sell out quickly, be sure not to miss
out!  For further information please contact our BioMed  AAO Evita Limon at
elimo002 at student.ucr.edu

Student Regent Applications

For those of you who are interested in getting (super) involved in the
University of California, the process of selecting the next Student Regent
of the UC is starting. The student Regent is a voting member of The Regents
of the University of California, attending all meetings of the Board and its
Committees and serving a one-year term commencing July 1st. The Board of
Regents meets six times a year, every other month, in two-day meetings.

The application for 2010-2011 student regent is now available online

at http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/regents/app10.pdf

If you want more information on what the job entails, what the selection
process is like or anything like that please contact Gary Coyne at
EVP.GSAUCR at yahoo.com

Be sure to contact me if you have any questions, suggestions, comments, or
concerns.  Join us on our virtual community on Facebook.  Hope to see you
soon!

At your service,

Alex Cortez

--
Alejandro Cortez
PhD Candidate

President
Graduate Student Association
University of California Riverside
www.gsa.ucr.edu
Office: (951) 827-3740
Fax: (951) 827-6358

"One's greatest nemesis is one's self when one dares not to think openly"  -
Anonymus