[GSAUCR] GSA Newswire 1/7/09

President GSAUCR president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 01:20:05 PST 2009

My Fellow Graduate Students,

         Welcome back!!! We are ready to get the Winter Quarter started and
it promises to be filled with events and projects you might be interested
in!!!!

1)   GSHIP Survey

2)   Council Meeting

3)   Grad Bash

4)   Student Run Health Clinic Fundraiser

5)   Student Regent

GSHIP Survey, LAST DAY *Today* *Wednesday* 1/7/09

If you have not already done so, please take the time to complete the GSHIP
(Graduate Student Health Insurance Program) survey. As we prepare to
negotiate our new insurance package, it is crucial that we have your input.
Two lucky survey participants will win ipods!  The survey will be open until
*5:00pm.  Be sure to take it, it doesn't take very long at all!!!!*

The survey can be found through the following link:

*http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=8T2vZNKqbjmA20MKfKyZNQ_3d_3d *

Once you complete the survey you will not be able to review your responses,
or take the survey again.

GSA Council Meeting, *Today* *Wednesday* 1/7/09

Our January Council Meeting will be held today, January 7th, in Commons 355
at 6pm.  Council Representatives: be sure to be there on time. We are also
voting on a few bylaws changes.  For further information contact Alex Cortez
@ gsaucr at ucr.edu

Winter Grad Bash Thursday 1/15/09

Time: 4pm-6pm

Location: Getaway Café, which is located in Bannockburn across from parking
lot 24

Come on out to the Getaway next Thursday for the GSA Winter Grad Bash! There
will be free pizza, salad, and breadsticks for all grad students and some
fabulous raffle prizes. Spread the word among your department. This is an
event for ALL graduate students. Don't miss out!

Student Run Health Clinic Fundraiser

SRHC has invited GSA members to participate in a fundraiser to help the
homeless.  A Banquet/Formal will be used to raise money for a student run
health clinic here in Riverside to benefit the homeless.  The program for
the event on April 5th (Sunday evening) will feature a jazz/swing band and a
catered dinner.  Tickets are likely to sell out quickly, don't miss out!  For
further information please contact our BioMed  AAO Evita Limon at
elimo002 at student.ucr.edu

Student Regent Applications

For those of you who are interested in getting (super) involved in the
University of California, the process of selecting the next Student Regent
of the UC is starting. The student Regent is a voting member of The Regents
of the University of California, attending all meetings of the Board and its
Committees and serving a one-year term commencing July 1st. The Board of
Regents meets six times a year, every other month, in two-day meetings.

The application for 2010-2011 student regent is now available online

at http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/regents/app10.pdf, and there will
be an informational session at UCR hosted by the current student Regent on
January 8th location to be announced.

If you want more information on what the job entails, what the selection
process is like or anything like that please contact Gary Coyne at
EVP.GSAUCR at yahoo.com

We hope to see you at our future events.  Be sure to contact me if you have
any questions, suggestions, comments, or concerns.  You can also join us on
our virtual community on Facebook.  Welcome back and see you around!

At your service,

Alex Cortez

--
Alejandro Cortez
PhD Candidate

President
Graduate Student Association
University of California Riverside
www.gsa.ucr.edu
Office: (951) 827-3740
Fax: (951) 827-6358

"One's greatest nemesis is one's self when one dares not to think openly"  -
Anonymus