[GSAUCR] Newswire 2/11/09

President GSAUCR president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 15:05:15 PST 2009

Fellow Graduate Students,
	Mark your calendars:
1)	GSA Conference Chair
2)	Student Regent
3)	Chem-GSA Open Mic Night at the Barn
4)	GSA Council Meeting
5)	Get Involved in the Community

GSA Conference Chair Call Letter Due, Wednesday 2/18/09

GSA is seeking highly motivated, well-organized individuals to be this
Spring's GSA Research Conference Chair.  All we need is your cover
letter explaining why you should be this year's chair.  Interested
parties, email your letter by Wednesday February 18th to
gsaucr at ucr.edu

Student Regent Applications

For those of you who are interested in getting (super) involved in the
University of California, the process of selecting the next Student
Regent of the UC is starting. The student Regent is a voting member of
The Regents of the University of California, attending all meetings of
the Board and its Committees and serving a one-year term commencing
July 1st. The Board of Regents meets six times a year, every other
month, in two-day meetings.
The application for 2010-2011 student regent is now available online
at http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/regents/app10.pdf
If you want more information on what the job entails, what the
selection process is like or anything like that please contact Gary
Coyne at EVP.GSAUCR at yahoo.com

Chem-GSA Open Mic Night at the BARN, 2/26/09

We understand that the graduate student body is talented and we want
this to be a showcase for a diverse range of entertainment.  The types
of performers we are looking for include: comedy, music, dance, poetry
or spoken word.  We are open to original and covered material.  To
reserve your spot on our OPEN MIC night, email Kayla
(khame001 at ucr.edu) or Kim (kimberly.worsley at email.ucr.edu) or Anne
(ahans004 at student.ucr.edu).  If you would like to nominate a talented
individual who may be too shy to sign up, please do so and we will
contact that person for further information.  For those who are simply
seeking a party atmosphere, the Barn is offering its Happy Hour food
menu to order from the counter, as well as their selection of beers
and wines for the +21 crowd.

GSA Council Meeting, Wednesday 3/4/09

Our final council meeting of the quarter will be held Wednesday March
4th at 6pm in Commons 355.

Get Involved in the Community

If you would be interested in getting involved in both the campus and
the larger Riverside community, please email gsaucr at ucr.edu.  Whether
you are interested in volunteering as judge science fair projects,
city beautification projects, helping the homeless, or helping
students in K-12 there are many opportunities out there.

Be sure to contact me if you have any questions, suggestions,
comments, or concerns.  Join us on our virtual community on Facebook.
Hope to see you soon!

At your service,

Alex Cortez

--
Alejandro Cortez
PhD Candidate

President
Graduate Student Association
University of California Riverside
www.gsa.ucr.edu
Office: (951) 827-3740
Fax: (951) 827-6358

"One's greatest nemesis is one's self when one dares not to think openly"  -
Anonymus