[GSAUCR] Newswire 2/3/09

President GSAUCR president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 23:58:37 PST 2009

Fellow Graduate Students,

         This is another busy week with LOTS of FREEBIES, don't miss out!!!!

1)   GSA Council Meeting

2)   Homecoming

3)   HEAT

4)   Student Regent

5)   Chem-GSA Open Mic Night at the Barn

GSA Council Meeting *Tomorrow*, Wednesday 2/4/09

Come out to our February council meeting.  We will be joined by a guest
speaker from the Environmental Health and Safety who will talk about the
"Shut the Sash" Program.

Homecoming Festivities Saturday 2/7/09

Free firework show on Friday February 6th from 7:30pm-10pm at Lot 30.  The
Tailgate party will take place Saturday February 7th at 3pm in the Track
Stadium there will be food and its rumored there will be a beer garden.  Later
that evening, our men's basketball will tip-off against the UC Davis Aggies
at 5pm.  (Save your tickets for a chance to win an ipod at the end of the
season.  Both Men's and Women's Basketball home/away games qualify).

HEAT Saturday 2/7/09

Join the 3rd Annual Moonlit Music Festival, HEAT.  The event will feature:
N.E.R.D. featuring Pharrell/She Wants Revenge/Circa Survive

Southland Stage: Sweethead/Everybody Else/Through It All/Planes Crash

DJs: Franki Chan/Andy Caldwell/Colette & Heather

There will be food vendors and the return of the Beer Garden. For more
information, please refer to http://heat.ucr.edu/

Student Regent Applications

For those of you who are interested in getting (super) involved in the
University of California, the process of selecting the next Student Regent
of the UC is starting. The student Regent is a voting member of The Regents
of the University of California, attending all meetings of the Board and its
Committees and serving a one-year term commencing July 1st. The Board of
Regents meets six times a year, every other month, in two-day meetings.

The application for 2010-2011 student regent is now available online

at http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/regents/app10.pdf

If you want more information on what the job entails, what the selection
process is like or anything like that please contact Gary Coyne at
EVP.GSAUCR at yahoo.com

Chem-GSA Open Mic Night at the BARN, 2/26/09

WE.NEED.YOU.TO.PERFORM! It's time to escape from your lab/office/cubicle and
show off your talent at Chem-GSA's Open Mic Night from 7:30pm-10:30pm. We
are calling for talented (or at least brave) grad students to come out and
perform! Since it is an open mic night, any kind of performance (musical,
spoken word, science demo anyone?) is appreciated. Please contact
kimbery.worsley at email.ucr.edu if you'd like to perform or need more
information.  This event is open to the entire student body and the Barn has
beer and food specials all night long.

Be sure to contact me if you have any questions, suggestions, comments, or
concerns.  Join us on our virtual community on Facebook.  Hope to see you
soon!

At your service,

Alex Cortez

--
Alejandro Cortez
PhD Candidate

President
Graduate Student Association
University of California Riverside
www.gsa.ucr.edu
Office: (951) 827-3740
Fax: (951) 827-6358

"One's greatest nemesis is one's self when one dares not to think openly"  -
Anonymus