[Gradstudents] Upcoming Opportunities & Events

Heather Killeen heather.killeen at ucr.edu
Tue Oct 18 12:03:01 PDT 2022

Dear SOE Graduate Students,

Please find the opportunities and upcoming events from various departments on campus.

-Heather

________________________________

>From GradSuccess:

  *   The Women's Resource Center mentoring program for undergraduates interested in graduate school is looking for graduate student mentors. For 10 weeks during Winter quarter, UCR undergraduate mentees will meet once a week with UCR graduate mentors to discuss graduate school opportunities and the application process. Obligations are minimal with just 1-2 hours required per week for mentees and mentors to meet and 2-3 valuable skills-building sessions throughout the quarter (hybrid options available). Mentorship sessions can be fully remote, hybrid, or in-person, based on personal preference. The aim is to connect mentors and mentees of similar disciplines together as much as possible. If you have any questions please reach out the Women's Recourse Center and/or Angeliz Casillas at avarg100 at ucr.edu<mailto:avarg100 at ucr.edu>.
  *   GradQuant is hiring<https://gradquant.ucr.edu/job-openings> part-time consultants! These are 10% positions (four hours/week) at $23/hour. We are interested in graduate students with expertise and teaching experience in statistical methods and/or programming operations in R, Python, and other languages. We are seeking to hire at least one part-time consultant for Fall quarter (with the possibility of transitioning into a 50% Teaching Fellow position for Winter/Spring 2023), and 2-3 part-time consultants for Winter term.

________________________________

Do you wish to make a difference in education? Are you looking for an impactful educational opportunity? If you have answered yes to either of these questions, then you should join the POWAN Initiative's Empower Hour Program where we empower by the hour!

POWAN 's Empower Hour is a virtual after-school program designed to empower students and teachers in Inland Empire high schools with high-failure rates. Empower Hour was granted $15,000 by the Strauss Foundation to promote student success in English, Mathematics, and Science courses via peer collaboration, direct communication with Riverside teachers, and student-centered curriculum support.

We are looking for students to fill any of these roles:
·  Program Coordinator (Graduate Student Position)
·  Program Instructor (Graduate Student Position)
·  Program Development Intern (Undergraduate or Graduate Student Position)
Anticipated pay rate: $18-23 per hour
Here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-7exqIapEGf1wTLKgF3FmA7Me2QJS58lB48UsKk6UhM/edit?usp=sharing> is more information about the roles and responsibilities. Join us to tackle educational inequity by filling out this quick and easy application<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4GvJR3KzOpp_Z4FRpnIc58aUn_Sqy-_OiDse6XzXL-GszIg/viewform?usp=sf_link> before the November 1st deadline!

If you have any questions about POWAN or the volunteer application, please email us at support at powan.org<mailto:support at powan.org>!

________________________________

>From Justin Huft, Union Rep:

Due to the UC’s unlawful conduct preventing workers from reaching fair contracts, every single UC campus has voted to authorize a strike vote! It’s time for UC to act in good faith and lawfully respond to the proposals put forward by 48,000 workers, including:

  *   Fair Compensation<https://fairucnow.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e5439bf07a966d151f3d2539c&id=5c43701114&e=5a3e33fa12>
  *   Sustainable Transit Incentives<https://fairucnow.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e5439bf07a966d151f3d2539c&id=8b789de61b&e=5a3e33fa12>
  *   Support for Parents and Families<https://fairucnow.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e5439bf07a966d151f3d2539c&id=f2a130fc3b&e=5a3e33fa12>
  *   Equity for International Scholars<https://fairucnow.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e5439bf07a966d151f3d2539c&id=7c5ab0341d&e=5a3e33fa12>
  *   Job Security<https://fairucnow.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e5439bf07a966d151f3d2539c&id=464272c088&e=5a3e33fa12>
  *   Disability Justice<https://fairucnow.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e5439bf07a966d151f3d2539c&id=566a889569&e=5a3e33fa12>
The Strike Authorization Votes will take place from Wednesday, October 26 to Wednesday, November 2. You will get an email on the morning of October 26 with a link to vote. Your bargaining team representatives strongly encourage you to vote "Yes" to show that we are united and ready to hold UC accountable.

During a strike, Academic Workers would not perform our work duties and would participate in picket lines in and around campus to increase the visibility of the strike. In the event of a strike, Academic Workers who complete strike duties and are UAW members will be eligible for $400 per week of strike pay

Note that you have the legal right to participate in a strike. It is unlawful under California law to fire or discipline workers for participating in a lawful strike. This protection also applies to international scholars. Ultimately, our greatest protection is robust mass participation: there is strength in numbers.

Voting “Yes” will show the University that 48,000 UC Academic Workers are united and willing to strike if circumstances justify. . Frequently Asked Questions about the Strike Authorization Vote can be found here<https://fairucnow.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e5439bf07a966d151f3d2539c&id=612059a50a&e=5a3e33fa12>.

________________________________

Heather Killeen (she/her/hers)
Graduate Program Coordinator
School of Education