[Gradstudents] RSVP: Do Politics in our Democracy, Prevent Schooling for Democracy?

Heather Killeen heather.killeen at ucr.edu
Thu Oct 28 10:56:24 PDT 2021

UCLA School of Education and Information Studies and UCR SOE present:

Do Politics in our Democracy, Prevent Schooling for Democracy?
Tues, Nov. 2, 12:30pm (flyer attached)
Register here<https://ucla.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_P3pSyztzTfGQSy7Peb-mZQ>

Recent months have seen a rise in heated rhetoric and hostile threats that have interfered with classroom instruction and disrupted school board meetings. In this contentious environment fueled by reactions to Covid-19 health policies and issues of race, this webinar explores what’s happening in school communities, what education leaders can do to safeguard democratic governance and civic learning, and importantly, how we can all stand up for democracy. Highlighting new research from UCLA and UC Riverside.

A conversation about the political conflicts confronting schools and the larger implications for learning and democracy.

Moderated by Emily Richmond, Public Editor, Education Writers Association, Host, EWA Radio

Featuring:

John Rogers, UCLA Professor of Education, Director, Institute for Democracy, Education & Access

Joseph Kahne, Dutton Presidential Professor of Education Policy and Politics, Co-Director of the Civic Engagement Research Group, UC Riverside.

Vernon M. Billy, CEO & Executive Director, California School Boards Association

Daniel Domenech, Executive Director, AASA, The School Superintendents Association

Olivia Krauth, Education Reporter, Louisville Courier-Journal

Hosted by the Institute for Democracy, Education and Access at the UCLA School of Education & Information Studies , and the Civic Education Research Group at UC Riverside’s School of Education

Co-sponsored by ICivics & Educating for American Democracy