[Gradstudents] [REMINDER] GSOE commencement celebration- June 11, 2021

Heather Killeen heather.killeen at ucr.edu
Mon May 24 14:51:20 PDT 2021

REMINDER - apply to be a commencement student speaker by 5pm Wednesday, May 26th

Dear Graduating GSOE Students,

I am happy to announce that GSOE will be hosting a virtual celebration for our Class of 2021 graduates on Friday, June 11 at 4pm. More details, including an invitation will follow, but we ask that you save the date. (Please note that the GSOE virtual celebration on June 11 is different than the university-wide GSOE Bachelor's/Master's/Credential Recognition and Name Reading ceremony to be held on Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 1:30 pm. Click here for more details<https://commencement.ucr.edu/>.)

Below is information regarding the student speaker opportunity, GSOE Commencement Kudoboard slideshow, and social media spotlight that we wanted to share in advance.

Student Speakers
GSOE is looking for student representatives from each program (undergraduate, teacher education, and graduate) to provide a celebratory message during the virtual celebration.

This is a unique opportunity to share your thoughts and reflections with your fellow students, faculty, staff, friends, and family, while representing the GSOE as a whole.

Submission process:
The submission process is twofold: the committee is asking interested students to send full written remarks, and record a 30-second video excerpt of your intended remarks. You can submit this info using this form.<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdJikjOf7u1C90OMKpP3pDTBqlxEK01GKE_pL2FYwXnyfpaew/viewform?usp=sf_link>

This process is designed to give the committee a glimpse of the intended celebratory message, and the graduates' speaking/presentation skills. As such, remarks submitted must be the ones that the graduate plans to deliver at the ceremony.

Speakers will be selected by a small committee made up of faculty and staff who will review the submissions. Selected speakers will be asked to meet with the GSOE commencement committee for a rehearsal with feedback prior to the event.

Tips for the celebratory message:

  *   The overall remarks will be limited to 2 minutes
  *   Remarks should be thoughtful, celebratory, and inspiring!
  *   Please keep in mind the audience, which will be all GSOE students including undergraduate, teacher credential, master's and PhD students, plus family, friends, faculty, staff

Deadline: Submissions are due Wednesday, May 26th by 5 pm

Kudoboard
We encourage all students (current and graduating) to share a message for GSOE's Class of 2021 on the GSOE Commencement Kudoboard<https://www.kudoboard.com/boards/LDu22bw3>. You can post messages in your cap and gown, videos, photos, and more!

Please also share a link to the Kudoboard, below, with your friends and family so they can post celebratory messages. We will play this slideshow as part of our program during the virtual event, and share on our social media.

Messages should be posted by Monday, June 7th to be included in the celebration slideshow. https://www.kudoboard.com/boards/LDu22bw3

Social Media

If you'd like to be featured on GSOE's social media, please fill out this form.<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScDyoXzQwTI0yCIOeOdEF2Vzod33sGGyev1CoZ8Z51RC33uwg/viewform?usp=sf_link>

If you have any questions about GSOE's virtual celebration, and the information above, please email Julie Porter at julie.porter at ucr.edu<mailto:julie.porter at ucr.edu>.

If you have questions specific to your degree/graduation, please reach out to your GSOE student advisor.

We look forward to celebrating all your hard work and achievements!

Sincerely,

Louie Rodriguez

Interim Dean

GSOE