[Geospatial] Geospatial/GIS meetup

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 31 11:21:54 PST 2023

Hello everyone,

Our next Geospatial/GIS meetup will be on Thursday, February 9, from 12:00*-12:50 pm in Rivera Library, Room 140 and on Zoom.

*NOTE: the room will be occupied until just before noon, so we might have to start a few minutes late.

Our presenter will be Richard Minnich, a Professor of Geography in the Earth and Planetary Sciences department at UCR. Dr. Minnich will present on Tree Atlas of the Californias, compiled using Google Earth.

This atlas is a compilation of unprecedented high resolution maps of 87 tree species in the three Californias along the North American Pacific coast-California south of San Francisco, Baja California, and Baja California Sur-interpreted from Google EarthTM imagery. Google Earth is a transformative platform for broad scale ecological research. It permits the viewing of vegetation at high resolution both at large scales for broad spatial pattern, and local scales for taxonomy, population characteristics, and map accuracy. Using the history function one can observe vegetation dynamically on georeferenced time-series imagery including growth, recruitment, mortality, vegetation response to disturbance, and long term vegetation dynamics.

In the mapping process, imagery is analyzed one species at a time. While this requires multiple scans of the study area, species by species, the eye automatically captures "surprises" subliminally and this led to discovery of 31 species range extensions not reported in previous surveys or in botanical collections. The species approach permits the analysis of single taxa and deconstruction of a priori defined plant assemblages. The kml/kmz software gives capability to separate maps of species as independent files that can be aggregated into plant communities in a geographic information system (GIS).

Implications of the outcomes of this mapping project will be discussed.

We'll also have time for announcements and discussion. This meetup will be recorded.
The reminder notice that you'll receive the day before the meetup will contain the Zoom information (which will be the same Zoom meeting for the March meetup). This means that - although I really do appreciate RSVPs! - you don't have to respond to this calendar invitation in order to receive the Zoom information.
You also have the option of registering through Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/geospatialgis-meetups-tickets-487910181487> - that way you'll receive an automated email with the Zoom information.
To find Rivera 140: turn right after entering Rivera Library. Keep walking until you pass the elevators. Room 140 is on the corner of the hallway you'll see to your left.
Feel free to forward this invitation to anyone you know who may be interested.

Please consider joining us!

Best,

-Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian