[Geospatial] REMINDER: Geospatial/GIS meetup tomorrow, January 12 - Rivera Library 140 and Zoom

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Wed Jan 11 09:20:11 PST 2023

Hello everyone,
This is a gentle reminder that our first Geospatial/GIS meetup for Winter 2023 is tomorrow, Thursday, January 12 from 12:00 - 12:50 pm PST.
To attend in person, please join us in Rivera Library, Room 140, which has tables and chairs and plenty of space to spread out.

Find the room by turning right after you enter the library; keep walking. Just after you pass the elevators you'll see Room 140 on the corner of the hallway to your left.

Or, feel free to join by Zoom if that works better for you. Zoom information can be found below.

Tomorrow, UCR Associate Professor Chikako Takeshita will give a presentation on Story Mapping Extreme Heat Experiences.

I will present a Story Map course project, "Environmental Health and Social Justice in Southern California" as a prototype for my aspiration to create a Story Map of heat exposure experiences in our region. Although several mapping data and GIS maps on summer temperature seem to exist for the region, it is beyond my own expertise to know exactly how to go about representing the most vulnerable populations and/or comparing heat exposures between different land use (ex. Does converting open farm land to warehouses change heat distribution for people who live in the area?). I will introduce the resources that I have found and ask for advice on how best to proceed.

Chikako Takeshita is associate professor in the Department of Gender and Sexuality Studies, which also houses the Sustainability Studies degree program at UCR. She is also the co-organizer of the proposed new Department of Society, Environment, and Health Equity.

We'll also have time for announcements and discussion. You are welcome to bring links for any interesting maps or GIS projects you've seen lately!
The meetup will be recorded.
Feel free to forward this email, especially to researchers who have expertise in the areas Chikako is exploring.

Here is the Zoom information for those not attending in person:

https://ucr.zoom.us/j/97390641880?pwd=M0NJYkJ2VGt5bnVFTU0waDBKUG1LQT09

Meeting ID: 973 9064 1880

Passcode: 725274

One tap mobile

+16694449171,,97390641880#,,,,*725274# US

+16699006833,,97390641880#,,,,*725274# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location

        +1 669 444 9171 US

        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

        +1 253 205 0468 US

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

        +1 719 359 4580 US

        +1 564 217 2000 US

        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

        +1 646 931 3860 US

        +1 689 278 1000 US

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

        +1 305 224 1968 US

        +1 309 205 3325 US

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 360 209 5623 US

        +1 386 347 5053 US

        +1 507 473 4847 US

Meeting ID: 973 9064 1880

Passcode: 725274

Find your local number: https://ucr.zoom.us/u/avH9xTBND

Join by SIP

97390641880 at zoomcrc.com<mailto:97390641880 at zoomcrc.com>

Join by H.323

162.255.37.11 (US West)

162.255.36.11 (US East)

115.114.131.7 (India Mumbai)

115.114.115.7 (India Hyderabad)

213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands)

213.244.140.110 (Germany)

103.122.166.55 (Australia Sydney)

103.122.167.55 (Australia Melbourne)

149.137.40.110 (Singapore)

64.211.144.160 (Brazil)

149.137.68.253 (Mexico)

69.174.57.160 (Canada Toronto)

65.39.152.160 (Canada Vancouver)

207.226.132.110 (Japan Tokyo)

149.137.24.110 (Japan Osaka)

Meeting ID: 973 9064 1880

Passcode: 725274

I hope you can join us!

Best,

Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian
UCR Library | University of California, Riverside
P.O. Box 5900 | Orbach Library, Room 128
Riverside, CA 92517-5900
Office: 951.827.6421 | Fax: 951.827.2255 | janet.reyes at ucr.edu<mailto:janet.reyes at ucr.edu>

Web<https://library.ucr.edu/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ucrlibrary> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ucrlibrary> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/ucrlibrary/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/ucrlibraries>
[cid:image001.png at 01D7A4CC.F0051EB0]