[Geospatial] Geospatial/GIS meetup

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 3 10:32:24 PST 2023

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year!

I hope you all had a good winter break.

Our first Geospatial/GIS meetup of 2023 will be next Thursday, January 12, from 12:00-12:50 pm in Rivera Library, Room 140 and on Zoom.

We'll be hearing from UCR Associate Professor Chikako Takeshita on the topic of Story Mapping Extreme Heat Experiences.

I will present a Story Map course project, "Environmental Health and Social Justice in Southern  California" as a prototype for my aspiration to create a Story Map of heat exposure experiences in our region. Although several mapping data and GIS maps on summer temperature seem to exist for the region, it is beyond my own expertise to know exactly how to go about representing the most vulnerable populations and/or comparing heat exposures between different land use (ex. Does converting open farm land to warehouses change heat distribution for people who live in the area?). I will introduce the resources that I have found and ask for advice on how best to proceed.

Chikako Takeshita is associate professor in the Department of Gender and Sexuality Studies, which also houses the Sustainability Studies degree program at UCR. She is also the co-organizer of the proposed new Department of Society, Environment, and Health Equity.

We'll also have time for announcements, discussion, and sharing geospatial news or projects. This meetup will be recorded.
To remove a barrier to meetup attendance, I'm simplifying the procedures a bit: starting this month, the reminder notice that you'll receive the day before the meetup will contain the Zoom information (which will be the same Zoom meeting for the February and March meetups). This means that - although I do appreciate invite responses! - you'll no longer have to respond to this calendar invitation in order to receive the Zoom information.
And, you still have the option of registering through Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/geospatialgis-meetups-tickets-487910181487> and receive an automated email with the Zoom information.
Feel free to forward this invitation, especially to researchers who have expertise in the areas Chikako is exploring. This meetup will definitely provide an opportunity for learning from each other.

Please consider joining us on the 12th.

Best,

-Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian