[Geospatial] Notes from Geospatial/GIS meetup September 9

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Fri Sep 10 17:41:48 PDT 2021

Hello all,
The notes from yesterday's Geospatial/GIS meetup are attached. They include one update on a question that was asked during the meetup.
A video is available here<https://ucr.zoom.us/rec/share/FhWubKQ9J-muf56NTZtp5CDdsc3x6Uug4Z3eIxNIGIIBZ2wmRiGwDURCrjhJDdJh.VyjeS-ZDbAPniO27>. The access passcode to view is   M.8$Rtj+
At this meetup we had a quick overview of QGIS, which is a free open source software for GIS. We looked at some of its unique features as well as its similarities with ArcGIS desktop products.
We had some really great questions, discussions, and information shared "out loud" and in the chat. Thanks to all who participated and attended! And special thanks to the nine first-time attendees. Glad you could join us, and hope you will return!
The next Geospatial/GIS meetup<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/geospatialgis-meetups-tickets-169417806219> will be on Thursday, October 14. We'll have four faculty members share why geospatial perspectives and GIS are important in their various disciplines. Please invite any students you know who are curious about GIS - there will be time for Q&A with the panel!
A quick reminder that presenters are being sought for the second annual UC GIS Week, November 16-18. Please submit your presentation proposal<https://forms.gle/xH5HxdJNHadEesX96> by September 30. This can include posters, story maps, and web apps as well as lightning talks or other presentations.
Wishing all Highlanders a good start to Fall Quarter!

Stay well,

Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian
UCR Library | University of California, Riverside
P.O. Box 5900 | Orbach Library, Room 128
Riverside, CA 92517-5900
Office: 951.827.6421 | Fax: 951.827.2255 | janet.reyes at ucr.edu<mailto:janet.reyes at ucr.edu>

Web<https://library.ucr.edu/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ucrlibrary> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ucrlibrary> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/ucrlibrary/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/ucrlibraries>
[cid:image001.png at 01D7A667.3949A910]