[Geospatial] REMINDER: Geospatial/GIS meetup tomorrow, March 17

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Tue Mar 16 08:44:19 PDT 2021

Hello all,

I hope Finals Week is going well for everyone!
This is a reminder that our March meetup is tomorrow, Wednesday, March 17, from 12:00 - 12:50 pm PDT.
Tomorrow morning you'll receive an email containing the Zoom meeting information if, by then, you have:

  *   registered on Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/geospatialgis-meetups-tickets-132323261437>, or
  *   replied "yes" or "tentative" to a calendar invite I sent on March 3
No guarantees I can accommodate last-minute requests for the Zoom info! Thanks for your understanding as we take measures to keep our meetups a safe space.
This meeting will be recorded.
Our presenter tomorrow is Mike Cohen, a GIS consultant who is working on a few different projects at UCR. Mike will share information about the system developed for reporting observed problems at the UCR Botanic Gardens.

There will also be time for announcements and discussion - for instance, any major takeaways from geo-meetings / events / conferences / webinars you have attended lately?

Feel free to "bring" a map: Have you seen a map on the internet lately that's noteworthy because of topic or cartography (including poor examples)? Be ready to pop a link for it in the chat so we can see and discuss!

Here are some maps and resources to check out in the meantime:

-->A crowd-sourced weather hub Mike Cohen participates in:  https://www.cocorahs.org/Maps/
-->Fun facts from the Postal service <https://facts.usps.com/map/#fact148> ; found by Gideon Kinzie Hawver
-->COVID vaccine distribution definitely has a spatial element: https://coronavirus-resources.esri.com/pages/vaccine
-->These resources<https://coronavirus-resources.esri.com/?adumkts=industry_solutions&aduse=local_state&aduc=email&adum=list&utm_Source=email&aduca=mi_smart_communities&aduco=coronavirus_hub_resources&adut=950533&adupt=awareness&sf_id=7015x000000iQIAAA2&aducp=operational_second_body_text>, which you may have seen before, help us remember what a pandemic year it's been and assess where we are right now.
Hope you can join us tomorrow ("bonus points" if your attire or Zoom background celebrates Ireland!) [Shamrock outline]

Best,

Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian
UCR Library | University of California, Riverside
P.O. Box 5900 | Orbach Library, Room 128
Riverside, CA 92517-5900
Office: 951.827.6421 | Fax: 951.827.2255 | janet.reyes at ucr.edu<mailto:janet.reyes at ucr.edu>

Web<https://library.ucr.edu/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ucrlibrary> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ucrlibrary> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/ucrlibrary/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/ucrlibraries>
[cid:image001.png at 01D719B0.1336B590]