[Geospatial] Geospatial/GIS meetup

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Tue Oct 27 08:31:54 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

Our next meetup is coming up faster than usual! Please join us on Tuesday, November 10 from 12:00 - 12:50 pm.

Join Zoom Meeting https://ucr.zoom.us/j/98420454947

Respond "yes" or "tentative" to this invite to receive the necessary passcode shortly before the meetup. Those who register through Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/geospatialgis-meetups-tickets-122118623089> will also receive the passcode.

Our presenter, Candice Mays of Voice Media Ventures<https://voicemediaventures.com/> in Riverside, will speak on the Mapping Black California<https://mbccensuslab.org/> project:
After leveraging GIS to promote civic engagement in Black communities via Black newspapers during the Census 2020 campaign, Mapping Black California seeks to create a sustainable data journalism model integrating GIS technology and resources.

About Candice: Project Manager of Black Voice News project, Mapping Black California, Candice Mays combines all things historical, Californian, and most importantly, Black into her writing and media work.

At the meetup, we'll also talk about UC GIS Week<https://ucgisweek.github.io/2020VirtualConference/> as well as other geospatial events and concerns.

In a week with a holiday (Nov. 11) in the middle, in a month when who-knows-what will happen, we hope you can spare 50 minutes and join the UCR geospatial community for an informative and thought-provoking meetup!

-Janet Reyes, Geospatial Information Librarian