UWP Lecturers Safe Assign

Gray Scott gray at scotts.net
Fri Mar 20 14:06:03 PDT 2009

Karen, et al,

Some other options:

1. Limit the grades on those papers to a maximum of C (passing). (Really, it's hard to argue for an A if one doesn't follow instructions.)
2. If you have a penalty clause for the other papers -- for mine, they lose 5 percentage points for each week I don't have the electronic copy -- then you can always, say, submit a Grade Delay, then count how many weeks it takes for them to catch up with their submissions.
3. No one's suggested it yet, but honestly, what about a zero? (Or half-credit, 50%). It's the end of the term. For most of them, it's their second term with these sorts of requirements, and not just in one class per term. Certainly by now an adult-aged, responsible, motivated, intelligent student would have caught on to the whole Safe Assignments thing, and realized that blowing it off is Not A Good Thing. You're certainly being reasonable if you assume they're doing it deliberately.

Perhaps I'm more inclined than normal toward hard-nosed because I've seen more than the usual amount of this sort of flakiness this term, and I'm starting to agree with those who say the current crop are too coddled. I still have some similar formaltities that several of my students are blowing off, and my thinking at this point in the process is to just let them lemming their way off that cliff.

Also not on their side: I have a newborn, and neither of us is sleeping. My students know this. They should know better than to mess with that kind of cranky brain chemistry.

- Gray