[CW-Grad] Countdown to Zero free screening in Hollywood

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Mon Jul 26 12:46:34 PDT 2010

This might be of interest, please spread the word.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gemma Shin <gemma.shin at yahoo.com>
Date: July 26, 2010 11:38:41 AM PDT
To: robin.russin at ucr.edu
Subject: Dear Professor Russin

Dear Robin Russin,

I want to extend a special invitation to you and your students/colleagues to attend a free screening of “Countdown to Zero” at ArcLight Hollywood on Saturday, July 31, 2010 at 7:30 pm.  Director Lucy Walker and producer Lawrence Bender’s “Countdown to Zero” traces the history of the atomic bomb from its origins to today’s disarmament efforts. Zócalo and KCRW present the Los Angelespremiere of this powerful documentary that makes the case for eliminating nuclear weapons around the world.

PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE TWO SCREENING TIMES AVAILABLE: 5:20PM & 7:30PM.
OUR 5:20PM SCREENING IS NOW SOLD OUT. PLEASE PROCEED TO MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR THE 7:30PM SCREENING. THANK YOU.

Here's the event link, where you can reserve a free seat:
http://zocalopublicsquare.org/upcoming.php?event_id=420

More information below. Please feel free to spread the word, and to share with anyone who might be interested! We welcome all! I hope you can join us.

Thanks!

Presented by Zócalo and KCRW

Countdown to Zero
Special 5:20pm and 7:30pm Screenings

***NOTE: 5:20PM SCREENING IS NOW SOLD OUT. PLEASE PROCEED TO MAKE RESERVATIONS TO THE 7:30PM SCREENING.***

ADMISSION:
Free, reservations recommended at www.zocalopublicsquare.org
Open to the public.

WHEN:
Saturday, July 31, 2010
Special 5:20pm and 7:30pm Screenings

WHERE:
ArcLight Hollywood
6360 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA
Directions and Parking

WHAT:
Ever since Manhattan Project director J. Robert Oppenheimer captured the horror of the mushroom cloud as “the destroyer of worlds,” nuclear weapons have stoked fear, awe, and greed everywhere. The U.S. and the Soviet Union assembled massive nuclear arsenals poised to launch at the push of a button. Countries around the world clamored for uranium and the technology to transform it into deadly weaponry. But since the Cold War ended, the delicate balance the two superpowers preserved — and the disarmament process they began — has largely collapsed, leaving the world with nine nuclear powers and arsenals vulnerable to terrorism, failed diplomacy, or simple accident. Featuring dozens of interviews, including with statesmen like Mikhail Gorbachev and Pervez Musharraf, director Lucy Walker and producer Lawrence Bender’s “Countdown to Zero” traces the history of the atomic bomb from its origins to today’s disarmament efforts. Zócalo and KCRW present the Los Angeles premiere of “Countdown to Zero”, a powerful documentary that makes the case for eliminating nuclear weapons around the world.
Thanks to our media sponsor

 Zócalo Public Square connects people to ideas and to each other in an open, accessible, non-partisan and broad-minded spirit. Through our web magazine, lectures, panels, screenings, and conferences, Zócalo takes on ideas that enhance our understanding of community—the forces that strengthen or undermine human connectedness and social cohesion.

We believe that over specialization and narrowcasting undermine the public square and are committed to welcoming a new, young and diverse generation to the conversation.

Established in Los Angeles in 2003, Zócalo roams across L.A., and has traveled to Chicago, New Orleans, San Francisco, and as far as Shanghai, Berlin and Guadalajara. In our seven years, we have featured over 800 compelling thinkers and doers from a wide range of fields—politics, governance, humanities, health, economics, education, technology, foreign policy, arts, science and beyond—who explore how we see and relate to one another, be it locally, regionally, nationally, or globally.
Please visit www.zocalopublicsquare.org for the latest updates.

Robin Russin

Associate Professor, Department of Theatre
Director, MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko Nobumoto