[Cwgrad-announcements] Fwd: Call for Poetry Submissions to UCLA anthology

Gabriela Jauregui gabrielajauregui at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 12:06:36 PDT 2008

For those who qualify and are interested... and feel free to repost!
Gaby

Call for Poetry Submissions
"Spiraled Connections:  40 years of Indigenous Journeys at UCLA"

The American Indian Studies Center at UCLA is seeking poetry submissions for
a fortieth-anniversary anthology commemorating its forty years of publishing
books by and about Native peoples. We envision this anthology as a
collection of materials by Indigenous poets directly connected to UCLA in
the past forty years and those they have mentored or influenced.
Our aim is to illustrate and celebrate the ways that Native people present
at the core of the American Indian educational movement have radiated their
innovation and empowerment out to the community in all directions.
Submissions do not have to be education-oriented.

Deadline: February 1, 2009

WHO CAN SUBMIT: Indigenous poets (having origin in any of the original
peoples of North America and who
maintain cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community
recognition) connected in some way to
UCLA (alumni, former/current professor/undergraduate/graduate/staff, folks
previously published in AICRJ or
other American Indian Studies Center publications) and those they have
mentored or influenced.

WHAT TO SUBMIT: Up to five poems (single spaced), not to exceed a total of
ten typed pages. We are open to
all poetic styles and forms. Poems in your Indigenous language will be
considered but you must also provide
English translation with your submission. What have we become in these past
forty years of American Indian
scholarship, education, community, intellectual, creative and academic
adventure? Who have we become, who
have we touched, how have we grown, transformed, helped each other, learned
to negotiate the academy, our
multiple roles and lives? How can we, as poets, express this Indigenous
journey?

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Please include name, email, phone, address, and a
brief bio along with your submissions.
While unpublished pieces are preferred, previously published material will
be considered. If something
has been previously published, please let us know where and when it was
published, and whether you have the
rights to your own material.

HOW TO SUBMIT: Inquiries can be directed to Deborah Miranda:
mirandad at wlu.edu. Deadline: February 1,
2009. Please send submissions with an SASE for response to:

Deborah Miranda
English Department
Washington and Lee University
204 W. Washington St.
Lexington, VA 24450

ABOUT THE EDITOR: Deborah Miranda is an Esselen/Chumash poet and scholar,
currently an associate
professor of English at Washington and Lee University in Lexington,
Virginia, where she teaches creative writing,
literature, and composition. She has published two poetry collections,
Indian Cartography and The Zen of La
Llorona; projects forthcoming are The Light from Carrisa Plains: A Tribal
Memoir, and Written on the Bark of
Trees: Praise Poems.