[Bgsa] Fw: Outreach opportunity for grads from Mary Droser

Brian Gray briang at ucr.edu
Mon May 16 10:54:53 PDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

Rich asked that I forward this on - there is an awesome outreach opportunity
available if you're interested!  There aren't a lot of details available
yet, but the program would start in fall quarter and end in the middle of
winter quarter.  Dr. Droser has told me that there will be a meeting on
Wednesday at noon where she will cover the rest of the details of the
program.

If any other details become available before then, I'll be sure to pass them
on.

Brian

Hi Brian:

Please see below.  Mary is looking for some graduate students to serve as
mentors for kids.  It also comes with a small stipend.  Please pass the word
ASAP and have them contact Mary Droser (mary.droser at ucr.edu).  She needs to
have commitments by Tuesday.

Thanks.

Rich

On May 13, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Mary Droser wrote:

> Hey Rich -
>>
>> We are meeting with a bunch of RUSD teachers and their very best students
>> on Thursday to match up UCR mentors with these kids as part of the NASA
>> climate ed grant.
>>
>> I need a few more mentors from UCR and was wondering if you knew of
>> anybody or could pass this on to the appropriate people.
>>
>> Basically we have $250 per project and will funnel a small stipend for
>> research to each mentor (but it is not worth it for the money!!) The
>> projects need to be on climate change but can be varied.  We have a bunch of
>> ideas and any that use NASA data are even better.
>>
>> So bottom line - the mentors don't need to think up projects they just
>> need to interact with students etc.  We are hoping for a one to one match.
>>
>> The thing is that I need to have a commitment by Tuesday and have them
>> come to mentor meeting on Wednesday (free lunch).   My guys love this and it
>> does look fab on broader impacts and all that!!!
>>
>> Let me know if you think that you might be able to rustle up some grads or
>> even motivated undergrads.

Brian Gray
PhD Candidate
Department of Biology