[Bgsa] Lunch Bunch Organization

Anne Jacobs ajaco005 at ucr.edu
Mon Aug 22 16:05:47 PDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I apologize for sending this notice out so late.  We're looking for people
willing to organize lunch bunch and grad fest.  Here's how it's going to
work:

- Ideally, we get two people to organize lunch bunch in the fall, two more
to organize in the spring, and three people to organize gradfest (which
takes the place of lunch bunch) in the winter.  If you really want to do it
alone and think you can handle the workload, we'll talk, but having two
people seems to have worked well in the past.

- The people organizing lunch bunch are in charge of inviting speakers to
come give the seminars from 12-1 on Fridays.  Since we currently have little
or no money to invite people, try to stick to local people.  Also, if you
can con other grad students into giving short talks, that's also a plus.

- The format of lunch bunch should be similar to last year.  This means that
instead of inviting one speaker to give a 50 minute talk, you can invite two
speakers a week to each give shorter talks if you want to (this often works
well if your speakers are graduate students).  Also, the topics of the talks
do not necessarily have to be about research (although they certainly can
be).  So, for instance, if you have a great idea for a speaker who could
come and talk about jobs outside of academia, scientific writing for the
public, or any other topic that you feel would be interesting and helpful to
the grad students and the department as a whole, feel free to invite them.

If you're interested, please send me an email (anne.jacobs at email.ucr.edu).
If you're considering organizing lunch bunch for fall quarter, please
contact me as soon as possible so that we can get started right away.  (If
I'm not mistaken, fall quarter might actually have fewer slots to fill
because of all the Friday holidays, so consider this a bonus if you
volunteer for that quarter.)

Anne Jacobs