[Bgsa] Would you like to meet with Dr. Dowd?

Breanna Harris bharr002 at ucr.edu
Mon Oct 25 15:39:16 PDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

The Saltzman lab has invited another seminar speaker -- Dr. W. Wesley Dowd,
currently a postdoc in George Somero's lab at Hopkins Marine Station. Like
the last speaker we invited (Pam Maras), Wes is pretty much still "one of
us" and should be fun to meet with.

Wes got his BS at Duke University, a MS at Virginia Institute of Marine
Sciences with John Musick, and then got his PhD from Davis in 2009 working
with Joe Cech and Dietmar Kultz studying physiological compensation in
response to environmental challenges in 3 shark species.

Wes's work focuses on the interactions among physiology, ecology, behavior,
and evolution.
Stolen from his webpage..... "*I apply approaches in **comparative
proteomics as part of an integrative approach to organismal function, with
the ultimate goal of evaluating the ecological and evolutionary implications
of environmental stress physiology. In my research I focus on the
physiological mechanisms that allow some animals to cope with extreme and
rapidly fluctuating environmental conditions in dynamic habitats. Rare but
extreme events likely play a significant role in driving ecological and
evolutionary patterns.*"

His webpage:  http://www.stanford.edu/~wwdowd/

If you'd like to meet with Wes, our join our lab in taking him out for
dinner just shoot me an email and we can set it up.

Thanks!
Bre

Breanna N. Harris
PhD Candidate