[Bgsa] mini-workshop on occupancy modeling

Quresh Latif qlati001 at ucr.edu
Mon Nov 15 14:27:58 PST 2010

If anyone has a current email list for EEOB students, faculty, and post-docs, I would like to forward this to them.

On December 3rd at 2:30 pm, I will be leading a 2 hr workshop on occupancy modeling. Occupancy models are basically hierarchical models allowing estimation of the rate of species presence across a set of sites while accounting for imperfect detection. In addition, recent extensions allow exploration of occupancy dynamics (changes in species' distributions through time). If you are interested in learning about occupancy models and how to implement them, please join us. This will be very informal and very hands-on. I recently attended a four day workshop on occupancy modeling taught by Darryl MacKenzie (one of the main innovators), and I've brought back lots of power point slides and teaching tools. The workshop will require you to bring your own laptop with the necessary software installed (I will provide you with the link). Given our limited time, I will focus on the basic form of the model, but we can also talk about the many extensions that have been developed. Please feel f!
!
ree to pass this along to whoever else you think might be interested. In particular, I do not have a current list of EEOB faculty, grad students, or post-docs, so if anyone has such a list, please forward.

Hope all is well in Spieth.

Thanks,

Quresh Latif
Postdoctoral Scholar