[Bgsa] elections for president and GSA rep beginning today

Carla Essenberg cesse001 at student.ucr.edu
Fri Apr 16 17:20:35 PDT 2010

Hi Folks,

The candidates have been assembled and it is time for you guys to make
a decision!  There were only two positions for which we had multiple
candidates:

For president, we have the following three candidates (in alphabetical order):
Priya Balasubramanium
Chris Wheeler
Matt Wolak

Priya wishes for us to know that she will be off campus during spring 2011.

For GSA representative (for which we need 2 people), we have the
following three candidates (in alphabetical order):
Carla Essenberg
Michael Pender
Matt Wolak

The other positions will be filled as follows:

Vice president
Yale Paulsen

EEOB recruitment committee representative
Anne Jacobs

EEOB web committee representative
Carla Essenberg

EEOB teaching and program committee representative
Teri Orr

I know that people at the meeting were not keen on the idea of using
our website to do the elections, but I have decided to go ahead with
that anyway, for several reasons: First, although it turns out
everyone in the program does have a mailbox in the BNN mailroom, some
people are off campus doing fieldwork and some people who have offices
in other buildings may rarely use their BNN mailboxes.  Using the
website means anyone who has access to email can vote from the comfort
of their own office (or wherever they've got their computer).  Second,
doing the elections this way is easier for me and more environmentally
friendly, because there is no need to print off paper ballots.  Third,
I think it would be a benefit to you guys and to the organization if
folks learned where this website was, and this will give folks an
excuse to do that.  It really isn't that difficult, and there are
quite a few things we could do with that website if people were
comfortable accessing it.

Here's how you get to the website:

-Go to the Student Organization Portal,
http://www.studentlife.ucr.edu/studentOrganizations/Pages/solar.aspx
-Click on “log in to SOLAR and see everything that these groups have
to offer” (underneath the picture)
-Look for “My Groups” (over on the right-hand side) and click on
“Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology Graduate Student
Association”

The link for the election should be staring you in the face (they call
it a "poll").  You'll be getting an email from the website itself
telling you about the election shortly.

Cheers,

Carla

--