[Bgsa] more about access to loading dock - parking at the loading dock

Carla Essenberg cesse001 at student.ucr.edu
Fri Apr 16 10:14:04 PDT 2010

Dear All,

Esther points out that in addition to getting through the gate, you
also need a placard to park at the loading dock.  When you check out
the gate access from Shardai, she will give you a placard, which will
allow you to park for about 20 minutes.  So, just pestering your
professor into getting a FOB to get through the gate isn't really
enough.  I am asking to see if they could make it possible to check
out the gate access stuff from Shardai for longer (e.g., overnight or
weekends) and will see if I can find out whether the professors can
have placards for parking at the loading dock.

Incidentally, Esther also mentions that lab prep has a gate access
card and placard that they can loan out if the one in the BNN office
is already checked out.

Thanks, Esther!

Cheers,

Carla

Email from Esther Valdez about parking at the loading dock:

I could be wrong...
I don't believe having a FOB allows you to park at the loading dock,I
think it only allows you to enter through the gate. You can park just
to load/unload right at the dock and then you have to immediately move
your vehicle. I don't recommend leaving your vehicle to go get
something from upstairs, you will most likely get a ticket...the voice
of experience.
The gate pass that can be checked out from Shardai includes a placard
that allows you to park for about 20 minutes or so to load/unload or
take care of whatever business in the building. Even with the placard,
we are not allowed to park at the dock for an extended period of time
(ie, hours) during business hours - not sure about extended parking on
nights or weekends and I haven't risked it. Also, the custodians seem
to be allowed to park at the dock after 5 so access after 5 is pretty
limited. Lab Prep has a gate card/parking placard which we loan out
only if Shardai's is not available.