[ASA_PEWS] PEWS Announcement: presentation and publication opportunity, DL September 30

Pitluck, Aaron apitluc at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 10 06:31:29 PDT 2022

Dear ASA PEWS Colleagues,
I am writing to alert you to two opportunities related to PEWS and the International Sociological Association, both with an initial deadline of September 30, 2022.
First, the World Congress of Sociology is the International Sociological Association’s largest event and is held every four years. The last World Congress had 5800 sociologists attend from 113 countries. The next World Congress will be held as a hybrid event in Melbourne, Australia from June 25 through July 1, 2023. There are hundreds of calls of abstracts across that large tent that is sociology. The ISA’s Economy and Society Research Committee (RC02) is organizing 23 opens calls for papers. I warmly encourage you to look at our list of sessions<https://www.rc02.org/announcements/2022/7/14/call-for-abstracts-international-sociological-associations-xx-world-congress-dl-30-september-2022> and submit your 300 word abstract. Please note that the deadline is strict and abstracts must be sent through the online portal<https://isaconf.confex.com/isaconf/wc2023/webprogrampreliminary/Symposium725.html> by September 30, 2022 24:00 GMT. You can find additional details here: https://www.rc02.org/announcements/2022/7/14/call-for-abstracts-international-sociological-associations-xx-world-congress-dl-30-september-2022
Second, I wish to alert you to a publishing opportunity with an open call for abstracts that RC02 is organizing as part of the World Congress. I believe it may be of particular interest to PEWS members, since we tend to be an interdisciplinary lot. The project’s working title is Brokering Novel Concepts into Economic Sociology. Each short essay will present one concept (from another sub-field or discipline) that the author argues is obscured, missing, or underappreciated in the field of Economy and Society. The author will then argue how brokering in this concept will advance the field of Economic Sociology and provide an empirical example of it doing so. The published essays are anticipated to be 4000 words.
The initial call for abstracts coincides with the call for abstracts for the ISA World Congress of Sociology: September 30, 2022 24:00 GMT. Please submit your 300 word abstract to RC02 via the on-line system<https://isaconf.confex.com/isaconf/wc2023/webprogrampreliminary/Symposium725.html>. Authors of selected abstracts will present their arguments at the World Congress. As a reminder, each scholar can submit up to two abstracts for consideration to the World Congress—and this ‘Brokering Novel Concepts’ call counts as such an abstract.
If you are interested in publishing with this project, but you are not available to attend the World Congress, I anticipate that there will be a second round call announced in July 2023 on the RC02.org website.
If you have any questions about either of these opportunities, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at Aaron.Pitluck at IllinoisState.edu<mailto:Aaron.Pitluck at IllinoisState.edu>.
Aaron Pitluck
RC02 World Congress Program Coordinator
Professor, Illinois State University
Fellow, Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study