[Allgsacstudents] Santa Cruz Developmental Biology Meeting

allgsacstudents at lists.ucr.edu allgsacstudents at lists.ucr.edu
Thu Apr 7 15:33:17 PDT 2022

DISCLAIMER: Replies to this listserv will be discarded. Please contact the original sender for more information.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Graduate Students,

We are pleased to announce the 2022 Santa Cruz Developmental Biology Meeting, which will be held August 13-17 on the beautiful UC Santa Cruz campus. Since 1992, the SCDB meeting has been a premier gathering for developmental biologists from around the world. This year’s meeting is organized around the theme, “Looking to the future: open questions in developmental biology”. Our central goal is to highlight the top challenges facing the field, both conceptual and technical, as we seek fresh insights into the complex mechanisms underlying organismal development, tissue renewal, and the evolution of new forms. The exciting lineup of keynote speakers includes: James Briscoe, Ruth Lehmann, Roberto Mayor, and Magdalena Zernica-Goetz. There will also be a featured career-perspective talk from one of the meeting’s founders, Cynthia Kenyon. For the full list of invited speakers, please see the attached poster.

The SCDB meeting is designed to foster interaction among developmental biologists at all career stages. A sequence of single-platform sessions will be interspersed with career-focused workshops and poster sessions. In addition to invited speakers, at least 16 short talks will be chosen from the submitted abstracts, with preference given to students, postdocs, and junior faculty. Depending on funds, a limited number of travel awards will be available to trainees with financial need.

There is also a competition for the SCDB Young Investigator Award, sponsored by the Company of Biologists. The winner receives $500.00, free registration & housing, a featured talk in the opening keynote session, and a published interview in Development. The competition is open to both graduate students and postdocs. Please visit the meeting website for information on how to apply.

Please help us advertise the meeting by printing the attached poster and hanging it in a prominent location, and by forwarding this email to colleagues. Further details about the meeting can be found at http://scdb2022.com. Registration and abstract submission are open now. Please feel free to contact the organizers if you have any questions.

This promises to be an exciting meeting and we look forward to seeing you all this summer!

The 2022 SCDB organizing committee:

Sally Horne-Badovinac (shorne at uchicago.edu<mailto:shorne at uchicago.edu>)

Sean Megason (sean_megason at hms.harvard.edu<mailto:sean_megason at hms.harvard.edu>)
Zhu Wang (zwang36 at ucsc.edu<mailto:zwang36 at ucsc.edu>)