[Tlc] TLC-Call for Papers-SEA Women

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Mon Nov 10 09:00:14 PST 2008

Forwarded from the VSG.
Thanks,
justin

This call for papers is part of a project to create an anthology of stories from Southeast Asian women.  Deadline for submissions is December 19, 2008.  Please see attached flier for more information.

"The literature of Southeast Asian women within the diaspora is marginalized in mainstream cultures. When visible, our writings are often misunderstood as stereotypical representations of purity, pathos, folklore, or matrilineal caricature. As activists, writers, and scholars, we are committed to bringing together a truly unique collection of voices by Southeast Asian women who trace their ancestry to Viet Nam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Indonesia, Burma/Myanmar, the Phillippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, or East Timor, and whose stories have yet to be told or visualized. We would also like to hear from women of minority groups, like the ethnic Chinese and Indians throughout Southeast Asia, and the Mien, Hmong, and Cham, who are located in many regions of the world. As the book's subtitle suggests, we hope the collection will question the concept of national borders and the boundaries of literature and art. Because we envision this anthology will feature importantly in clas!
!
sroom curricula, we are looking for pieces that speak to broad themes and concerns relating but not limited to questions of youth, generational difference, nationality, identity, gender, sexuality, and class. We are soliciting submissions of various genres: short fiction, poems, personal essays, and artwork."

justinm at ucr.edu