[Tlc] Vietnam Center and Archive

Txiabneeb Vaj txiabneeb at gmail.com
Tue May 20 09:40:42 PDT 2008

Greeting:

For all of the (SE Asian) scholars out there; by SE Asian scholars I mean
anyone who studies SE Asian's and not just those of us who are SE Asian
descents. In the western world, US especially, it is called the Vietnam War,
but in Asia or at least in the regions/areas that I am familiar with in SE
Asia, it is referred to as the American War; the same goes with World War
II; the Hmong in Laos called it the Japan War.

My question is will the SE Asian scholars on this listserv or anyone that is
involve with SE Asian Studies hereafter ever consider adopting the name
"American War" instead of the "Vietnam War?"

Just my curiosity...await your feed back...

-Tzianeng Vang,
651.238.5300

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 6:53 AM, Maxner, Steve <steve.maxner at ttu.edu> wrote:

>  Greetings:
>
> I am new to this list and I wanted to provide a brief introduction to you
> regarding our project.
>
> Since 1989, the Vietnam Center at Texas Tech has been promoting the study
> and preserving the history of the US experience in Vietnam, especially
> during the Vietnam War.  Since that time, we have collected more than 20
> million pages of material in our traditional archive, have more than 500
> interviews in our oral history project, and provide free online access to
> nearly 3 million pages of archival material via our Virtual Vietnam
> Archive.  I must admit that, in some ways, I regret the current name of
> our project, "The Vietnam Center and Archive" as it is too restrictive in
> terms of our actual missions and scope.  We changed it to this shorter
> name in the mid-1990s as our board felt the previous name was too long –the Center for
> the Study of the Vietnam Conflict.  While it was longer, it was also far
> more accurate in describing our work which involves the entire theater and
> all nations involved – to include Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia.  We have
> many archival collections that cover historical events and activities in
> Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand.  In addition, our current activities to
> promote the study of the role of the US in Southeast Asia as well as
> reconciliation between our nations includes scholarships and other
> university projects in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia.
>
> You can learn more about our project online here:  *www.vie**t**
> nam.ttu.edu* <http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu>
>
> I hope you will visit our website and I look forward to participating in
> this discussion about Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Steve
>
> Stephen Maxner, Ph.D.
> Director
> The Vietnam Center
>
> The Vietnam Archive, Texas Tech University
> Special Collections Library Room 108
> 15th and Detroit
> Lubbock, TX  79409-1041
>
> Phone:  806-742-9010