[Tlc] Vietnam Center and Archive

Maxner, Steve steve.maxner at ttu.edu
Tue May 20 04:53:12 PDT 2008

Greetings:

I am new to this list and I wanted to provide a brief introduction to
you regarding our project.

Since 1989, the Vietnam Center at Texas Tech has been promoting the
study and preserving the history of the US experience in Vietnam,
especially during the Vietnam War.  Since that time, we have collected
more than 20 million pages of material in our traditional archive, have
more than 500 interviews in our oral history project, and provide free
online access to nearly 3 million pages of archival material via our
Virtual Vietnam Archive.  I must admit that, in some ways, I regret the
current name of our project, "The Vietnam Center and Archive" as it is
too restrictive in terms of our actual missions and scope.  We changed
it to this shorter name in the mid-1990s as our board felt the previous
name was too long - the Center for the Study of the Vietnam Conflict.
While it was longer, it was also far more accurate in describing our
work which involves the entire theater and all nations involved - to
include Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia.  We have many archival collections
that cover historical events and activities in Laos, Cambodia, and
Thailand.  In addition, our current activities to promote the study of
the role of the US in Southeast Asia as well as reconciliation between
our nations includes scholarships and other university projects in
Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia.

You can learn more about our project online here:  www.vietnam.ttu.edu

I hope you will visit our website and I look forward to participating in
this discussion about Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia.

Best regards,

Steve

Stephen Maxner, Ph.D.
Director
The Vietnam Center

The Vietnam Archive, Texas Tech University
Special Collections Library Room 108
15th and Detroit
Lubbock, TX  79409-1041

Phone:  806-742-9010