[Tlc] Vietnam Center and Archive

Maxner, Steve steve.maxner at ttu.edu
Tue May 20 09:58:35 PDT 2008

Dear Tzianeng Vang:

Thank you very much for your message and for raising this interesting
question.  I think this is mostly a matter of perspective and the name
used in describing this or any war must provide clarity for the user and
audience.  When we travel to SEA, especially Viet Nam, when in
discussions with students and scholars there about this war, we use
their reference point and call it "the American War."  However, when
here in the US, if we called it "the American war" - it would be very
confusing to an American audience.  Which "American" war would we be
discussing since all of the wars that the US has been involved in have
been "American."  Perhaps we could change the name to the
American-Vietnam War - but that is redundant to an American audience.

Further, I am not sure it is accurate to call this "the American War."
The Republic of Vietnam was very heavily engaged in this war and lost
many more thousands of their soldiers in the fighting than did the US -
and there were other country forces from Australia, South Korea, and
elsewhere.  To call it "the American War" is to negate the important
role of these other nations in this war, especially the former Republic
of Vietnam.

Just my two cents...

Best regards,

Steve