[Tlc] Indigenous Tai Lexicography [Summary]

Fernquest Jon fernquestj at Bangkokpost.co.th
Sun Jul 6 02:14:31 PDT 2008

Dear List Members;

Here is a summary of some of the useful sources that I learned about
from kind people who sent me information after I posted on this list
(all of this information seems sharable, but I keep the names anonymous):

1. A relatively new book on Tai Yuan:

The Lanna language : background, dialogs, readings, and glossary = phasa Lanna : phumlang botsonthana botfuk `an læ `aphithan sap / Kobkan Thangpijaigul & Scribner Messenger. Kensington, Md: Dunwoody Press, 1995.

The book has an accompanying cassette, available for $12 from the US publishers, here:

http://www.dunwoodypress.com/products/-/185

2. A new edition of Purnell's 1962 A Colourful Collquial, a primer of Tai Yuan (Northern Thai), is in preparation.

3. Weekly Tai Yuan radio broadcasts in Bangkok: FM 88, 9-11 pm, Sat/Sun, a call-in program, "with folks from all over the north now living in Bangkok chatting and discussing issues," possibly a comedy CD,  all in "warm, down-home Tai Yuan."

4. In Thai there is obviously the slim but interesting monograph by a scholar at Chulalongkorn University, Theraphan Thongkum, on the history of Thai lexicography (??????????????. . . 2535)

5. The vast correspondence between Prince Damrong and Prince Naris, is also of use for Tai lexicography.

6. There are some Chinese-Siamese glossaries of the Ayuthaya period which have been worked on by a Japanese scholar in Paris.

Sincerely,
Jon Fernquest
Education, Bangkok Post,
readbangkokpost.com