[Tlc] TLC-grad.student internship

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Thu Dec 6 17:39:25 PST 2007

FYI.

Graduate and Undergraduate Internships
Asia Catalyst

Asia Catalyst seeks graduate and undergraduate interns for the
spring 2008 semester. Interns will assist with our
groundbreaking work with grassroots human rights and social
justice groups in China and Southeast Asia.

Asia Catalyst (http://www.asiacatalyst.org/) is a New
York-based nonprofit that partners with activists in Asia to
inspire, create and launch innovative, self-sustaining
programs and organizations that advance human rights, social
justice and environmental protection. We link up Asian
community leaders, journalists, activists, and lawyers with
each other and with international experts who can help them to
realize their visions. We incubate programs that may be too
risky or innovative for established organizations to take on.
We strategize with international organizations to develop
creative, effective campaigns for social justice in Asia.

We currently seek interns to work on the following:

-Legal research: Help to research and design a certification
course for Chinese lawyers on HIV/AIDS and the law;
-Build transnational networks: Help to develop a website that
connects Chinese grassroots nonprofits with similar groups
working in other parts of Asia;
-Strengthening grassroots groups: Develop pamphlets, handbooks
and comic books on NGO management that can be used by
grassroots Chinese nonprofits;
-Organize events: Coordinate "Asia Catalyzers", an exciting
series of events on human rights and social justice in Asia
that will build a community of professionals and students in
New York City;
-Nonprofit management: Develop management skills by assisting
with administration and fundraising for the organization.

Applicants should be self-starters, passionate about social
justice, should have some background in Asia, and should work
well independently. We especially seek applicants with either
research skills, web design skills, fluency in Chinese
language, or event planning experience. The period of the
internship is from mid-January to April and it is expected
that an intern will spend 10-15 hours a week on the selected
project, including a mandatory weekly staff meeting. Interns
must be based in the U.S., but will generally work from home.
The internship is unpaid. University credit may be arranged.

Please write to <catalystasia at gmail.com> with a resume and
1-page cover letter in English describing your experience, and
provide contact information for two references.

2617 Humanities Building
justinm at ucr.edu