[Tlc] TLC-Kyoto Review of SEA

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Thu Dec 6 17:40:16 PST 2007

Good articles here.
best,
justin

New Issue of Kyoto Review of Southeast Asia

We wish to inform you that the latest issue of Kyoto Review of
Southeast Asia posted a double issue on culture (No. 8/9,
March/October 2007) has been uploaded
(http://kyotoreviewsea.org/Issue_8-9/Welcome.html).  It
features essays on Philippine and Thai literature, modern
Malaysian Islamic music and colonial Indonesian musical
culture, Indonesian museums, theater collaboration between
Japan and Southeast Asia, and Japanese pop culture. It
includes short book reviews, essays on Indonesian Muslim
intellectuals and Malay culture in southern Thailand, and
reprints by a noted Thai academic, a controversial Thai
essayist, and a highly-respected Filipina nun-activist. This
issue also invites you to listen to a speech given by Prof.
Benedict Anderson at the launch of the Philippine edition of
his Imagined Communities. And the latest feature of the
e-journal is the addition of video; in this issue the Filipino
film makers Moving Images have permitted us to upload their
Kuaresma, a documentary about the celebration of Holy Week in
the Philippines.

The next issue will be a special on "Chinese Studies on
Southeast Asia," and we will be translating a number of essays
and reviews written by our colleagues from China. We will also
be adding Mandarin to the translations.

Happy reading, many thanks and all the best.

Sincerely,
Donna J. Amoroso, Editor
and
Patricio N. Abinales, Professor