[Ying-announcements] Fwd: [Envisci-faculty] Update on David Lyons' position

Sam Ying samying at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 20:40:43 PDT 2020

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: David Volz <dvolz at ucr.edu>
Date: Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 8:38 PM
Subject: [Envisci-faculty] Update on David Lyons' position
To: <envisci-faculty at lists.ucr.edu>

Hi everyone,

Effective July 1, 2020, I took over as David Lyons’ direct supervisor, as
Jim and I agreed that, moving forward, the department chair should fulfill
this role since 1) the ESRL and David’s position serves the department and
2) David's salary and benefits are covered by the department (via our
permanent budget) and Dean’s office, respectively.  With that said, over
the last couple of weeks I have been working with David to clarify my
expectations as well as address a handful of issues, including ensuring
that his current responsibilities are aligned with his position
description.

As a full-time UC employee (Lab Assistant III), alignment of
responsibilities with the position description is critical since David is
represented by the TX union and any major revisions to his position
description would require reclassification of his position (which we don’t
have the budget to support).  Therefore, in addition to recent
correspondence with David via email, I met with David via Zoom this
afternoon to discuss minor revisions to his position description as well as
my expectations moving forward.

Below is a list of expectations and immediate changes that I have
communicated to David via email and during our face-to-face meeting:

- Maintain an active presence during ESRL business hours (7am-3pm daily
from Monday through Friday)
- Communicate with me in advance about days needed for vacation or sick
leave.
- Notify ESRL clients (e.g., via a “will return clock” hung on the lab
door) when out to lunch and/or on breaks.
- Improve communication with all departmental faculty, staff, students,
postdocs, and visiting scholars by utilizing a customer-oriented,
service-driven approach.
- Treat all departmental faculty, staff, students, postdocs, and visiting
scholars with courtesy, mutual respect, and dignity.

In addition, effective today David will no longer serve as the lab safety
officer for the department (nor serve on the departmental Safety, Space and
Equipment Committee), as this responsibility was not included within his
original position description and faculty are responsible for ensuring that
their labs comply with EH&S safety guidelines via annual self-inspections.
EH&S will continue to conduct annual lab inspections, so EH&S can directly
communicate with faculty about potential corrective actions if any are
needed.  That way, David can exclusively focus on supporting the department
via ESRL-specific activities.

While David is a valued member of the department and his position is vital
for continued ESRL operation and maintenance, my hope is that these changes
will help improve his relations with you and your research personnel while
also minimizing conflicts moving forward.  However, if you or your research
personnel run into issues that can’t be resolved directly with David,
please let me know immediately (via email) so I can intervene as his
supervisor.  Likewise, I have told David to let me know if he has concerns
about ESRL clients that do not treat him with respect and/or do not follow
policies/SOPs established within the ESRL.

Please let me know if you have any concerns and/or suggestions.

Dave

David C. Volz, Ph.D.
Professor & Chair
University of California, Riverside