[WFA] STARTING NOW workshop on Alternative SET and Learning Objectives!

Katherine Stavropoulos katherine.stavropoulos at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 7 08:59:40 PST 2022

Hi all,
Just a reminder that the workshop on alternative SET and learning
objectives starts now!

Link here: Join Zoom Meeting
https://ucr.zoom.us/j/99982423457?pwd=Y2ltRGhjY1pNWHgwQ0M0aEdmVlVMQT09
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ucr.zoom.us/j/99982423457?pwd%3DY2ltRGhjY1pNWHgwQ0M0aEdmVlVMQT09&sa=D&source=calendar&ust=1641693377359122&usg=AOvVaw1VtyOCiscH5dDQX7hgDMYQ>
Meeting
ID: 999 8242 3457 Passcode: 555642 One tap mobile
+16699006833,,99982423457# US (San Jose) +13462487799,,99982423457# US
(Houston)

Best,
Katherine and Jennifer

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 10:29 PM Jennifer Hughes <jennifer.hughes at ucr.edu>
wrote:

> Dear WFA* constituents and allies,
>
> We are writing to announce a WFA workshop on writing effective Learning
> Objectives for syllabi taught by faculty from our Academy of Distinguished
> Teachers.  We realize the timing is challenging, given the first week of
> teaching.  Below, we explain why we feel it is necessary and urgent.
>
> The workshop will take place on zoom on Friday, January 7th from 9-10:30am
> (no registration required).
> Join Zoom Meeting
> https://ucr.zoom.us/j/99982423457?pwd=Y2ltRGhjY1pNWHgwQ0M0aEdmVlVMQT09
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ucr.zoom.us/j/99982423457?pwd%3DY2ltRGhjY1pNWHgwQ0M0aEdmVlVMQT09&sa=D&source=calendar&ust=1641693377359122&usg=AOvVaw1VtyOCiscH5dDQX7hgDMYQ>
> Meeting ID: 999 8242 3457 Passcode: 555642 One tap mobile
> +16699006833,,99982423457# US (San Jose) +13462487799,,99982423457# US
> (Houston)
>
> Last year's WFA survey identified bias in Student Evaluation of Teaching
> as an area of ongoing concern. This past spring, our campus SET Task Force
> concluded that our existing SET survey is prone to bias (disadvantaging
> women faculty and faculty of color). Our campus is in the process of
> establishing a committee to implement recommendations for comprehensive
> revision of our survey. It is not yet clear how long this process will
> take.
>
> Student evaluation of clearly articulated learning objectives is
> understood to be a method that is less prone to bias (that is, asking the
> students to evaluate the success with which the class has met learning
> objectives as stated in the syllabus). We are hopeful that the creation
> of strong learning objectives for individual courses can serve as building
> blocks for more objective SET questions.
>
> Some of our faculty constituents have expressed interest in submitting
> alternative SET as evidence of teaching excellence for purposes of merit
> and promotion in the interim period (while our own SET survey, determined
> to be flawed, is in revision). We will send out additional information
> regarding alternative SET after the workshop.
>
> Please note that our workshop is open to ALL interested faculty on campus.
> Please feel free to share the link.
>
> If you are unable to attend Friday's workshop on writing learning
> objectives, there is a shorter, general campus workshop being offered on
> January 27th:
> https://ucr.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJErc-yurTIjGtyj8CCsxNSlTmuDeJA1y6XO
>
> In any case, we hope to see you this Friday!
>
> Best,
> Katherine + Jennifer
>
> *In spite of its name, the WFA continues to strive to be a more inclusive
> organization with respect to gender diversity among our faculty.
>
> Jennifer Scheper Hughes
> Professor
> Department of History
> University of California, Riverside
> https://nyupress.org/9781479802555/the-church-of-the-dead/

Katherine Stavropoulos, PhD (she/her/hers)
https://sites.google.com/view/scdnlab/home

Assistant Professor

Graduate School of Education

University of California, Riverside

Self-expression and self-identification is one of my professional and
personal values. One way to practice these values is to share personal
gender pronouns. My name is Katherine and I use she, her, hers pronouns.

*CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT* *-- See California Welfare and Institutions
Code Section 5328.  * This email message, including attachments, is
intended for the sole use of the person(s) to whom it is addressed, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended addressee,
you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute
this email or information contained in the email.  If you have received
this email in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply mail,
you.