[WFA] WFA* Fall Information

Jennifer Hughes jennifer.hughes at ucr.edu
Fri Oct 23 21:29:25 PDT 2020

Dear WFA* Constituents,

We are writing to offer you all a Fall welcome. We are pleased to introduce our new listserve which we hope will facilitate communication (including ease in subscribing and unsubscribing).

First, we are announcing our fall virtual meeting which will be held on November 12th at 4pm. The link to the zoom meeting is here: https://ucr.zoom.us/j/98697824063

At this meeting we will offer various updates on our work in progress, share news of some of our achievements, and discuss work that still remains to be accomplished.  We are especially concerned about the disproportionate burden that COVID has placed on our constituent faculty. We have already taken actions to advocate on behalf of our constituents, including submitting a successful request for a universal COVID stop-the-clock. We have also received concerns about layoffs of teachers at the Child Development Center, about the inappropriate use of student evaluations from courses taught online under emergency provisions due to COVID, and about poorly shared information regarding possible emergency family leave to care for children when schools are closed due to COVID.

Nominated by the WFA, Aleca Leblanc has just begun her term on the Committee on Committee, charged with nominating faculty to serve on a range of senate and Ad-Hoc Committees.  She is currently the only woman faculty member serving on the CoC. If you think you might be available or interested to do committee work this year, she invites you to reach out to her with your research and leadership interests as she works to create a pool of potential committee members. Most immediately (and for example), Chancellor Wilcox is looking to assemble (nominations due by Monday) a committee to discuss the future of UCR athletics. If you are interested in participating in this committee, or simply want to indicate your availability, please reach out to: aleca.leblanc at ucr.edu.

Please note that we continue to call for an overhaul of our student evaluation of teaching due to the problem of bias and to call for a comprehensive salary equity study. We also continue to work toward making our organization more inclusive with respect to gender nonbinary and transgender faculty. Toward this end, we will be exploring a name change this year. We are also looking to develop a more transparent process for the nomination and election of leadership for our organization.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Scheper Hughes and Katherine Stavropoulos (co-chairs WFA)