[WFA] Upcoming senate vote and Student Evaluation of Teaching

Jennifer Hughes jennifer.hughes at ucr.edu
Tue Dec 8 11:48:35 PST 2020

Dear Constituents and Allies of the WFA*,

We are writing about two time-sensitive matters.

First, as you are aware, we are in the midst of Student Evaluation of Teaching for the quarter. Given that the campus is still in the process of determining best practices in response to the problem of bias, we are sharing a draft PowerPoint presentation developed by some of our concerned constituents that may be of interest to you (best viewed in slideshow mode with animations).  There is researched-based evidence that educating students about the problem of bias can help produce less biased outcomes in evaluations. Please note that the WFA is working to (re)schedule an open forum on SET in the winter or spring quarter.

Second, we want to advise you of an election for a seat on the Committee on Committees. The WFA is endorsing Professor Samantha Ying for the position.  Please consider voting by the deadline of December 17th.  The senate notice of ballot with link is included below.

Finally, subscribers can post to this list using the email address: wfa at lists.ucr.edu

*Please note that the WFA is working to become a more inclusive organization with respect to gender nonbinary and transgender faculty (both in membership and in the issues that we take up)