[Wellnesscommunications] MLK Day of Service – Your Spark to Serve

Jacqueline Leslie jacqueline.leslie at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 14 11:28:17 PST 2022

[cid:image001.png at 01D80939.D13CD3C0]

January 14, 2022

To:
Wellness Program Participants

From:
Workplace Health and Wellness

Re:
MLK Day of Service – Your Spark to Serve

MLK Day of Service

Each year, Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service is when we are asked to step up to make our communities more equitable and take action to create the Beloved Community of Dr. King’s dream. Community service builds a culture of community and builds awareness around the needs of your community.

We all know that service has positive effects on our communities and others, but did you know it also positively impacts the person doing the service? Often people experience a sense that has been coined the "helpers rush” which is like a feeling of calmness, reduced stress, and greater sense of purpose and self-worth after helping people! So, not only are we helping others when we serve, but we are also helping ourselves. A win-win!

Volunteer: Does serving your community give you those warm and fuzzy feelings? Is there a local organization that aligns with your passion? Have you been wondering what it would be like to work with them? Then volunteering might be your jam!

·         Food pantry

·         Animal shelters

·         Elementary schools

·         Community centers

·         Senior centers

·         Nonprofits
Meals on Wheels: Does food dictate your mood? Does the thought of wasted food drive you nuts? Does the possibility of someone going hungry get you on your feet? Then Food Distribution might be your call to action!

·         Coordinate donations for a Community Fridge

·         Host a canned food drive

·         Bake/Cook something for someone else
Clean Up: How can you get more people in your community involved? Is cleaning therapeutic for you? Do you enjoy spending your days outdoors? Do you confront your neighborhood litter bug? Then a Community Beautification project might be perfect for you!

·         Help a business paint over graffiti

·         Clean up a local park or community spa

·         Offer to help a needed neighbor with their lawn
Create for a Cause: Would you rather make something then buy it?  Do you have a passion for creation? Do you consider yourself a jack of all trades? Then creating for a cause might be the project you were looking for!

·         Fleece Tie Blankets

·         Assemble First Aid Kits

·         Knit Hats & Scarves
·         Thank you Letters &  Cards