[Ucrea] Reports on Triennial Survey of UC Emeriti Activity

Demetrius Antony Patrick demetrius.patrick at ucr.edu
Fri Dec 2 12:09:23 PST 2022

[cid:image001.png at 01D90646.E9F9A630]

December 2, 2022

To: UCR Emeriti

From: Darleen DeMason and Raymond Russell, Co-Presidents, UCREA

Re: Reports on Triennial Survey of UC Emeriti Activity

As the year 2022 draws to a close, we are writing to make sure that all UCR Emeriti have a chance to see two reports on professional and community activity by UC emeriti that have come out this year.

Once every three years, the Council of University of California Emeriti Associations [CUCEA] surveys all UC emeriti about their professional and community activity over the previous three years.  The most recent CUCEA survey was completed in 2021, and served as the basis of two reports published in 2022.

The first of these reports from March 2022 covers activities reported solely by UC Riverside emeriti.  It documents that over the three years from 2019 through 2021, the 114 UC Riverside emeriti who responded to the survey taught a total of 91 undergraduate and graduate classes, making their collective efforts as teachers equivalent to more than a dozen FTE.  Respondents had also published 271 journal articles, 148 book chapters, and 71 books.  For the years 2018 through 2022, UCR emeriti received a total of $76 million in extramural grant funding, and made $6.9 million in charitable contributions to UCR.

Later in 2022, CUCEA released a summary report showing the survey results for all UC campuses.  It concludes that when the professional and community activities of all UC campuses are aggregated together, they constitute "A Virtual Eleventh Campus" for the University of California.

These reports are available on the CUCEA and UCR Emeriti Association websites.  You can access them directly by clicking the links below:

2018-2021 CUCEA, A Virtual Eleventh Campus Survey Report: https://www.cucea.org/uploads/1/3/9/6/139695957/eleventhcampusreport_2018-2021.pdf

2018-2021 UCR Emeriti Triennial Survey Report: https://emeriti-retirees.ucr.edu/document/2018-2021-ucr-emeriti-triennial-survey-report

These are results that all of us can take pride in.  We would like to extend our thanks to all emeriti whose continued professional and community activities have helped to make us look so good in these surveys.

Best wishes,

Darleen DeMason
Raymond Russell
Co-Presidents, UCR Emeriti Association