[Uc_mediatechs] I Need Input on Projector Selection

Jeff Wagner jswagner at ucsc.edu
Tue Mar 7 11:51:16 PST 2006

Michael,

At UCSC, we haven't used any of the models you listed, but we do have
experience with similar models by some of the same manufacturers.

We have 4 or 5 Sanyo PLC-XF31 (the XGA verson of the EF-31), which have
been very good projectors.  Good image quality, rock solid reliability,
dependable lamp life.

We've been using quite a few Sanyo PLC-XP41, XP46 and XP51 projectors,
similar to the XP55 but without the DVI input.  These have good
performance for the price.  Two cautions on these, however, which may
keep us from buying more:

1.  They use an extremely fine air filter that's very effective at
trapping dust, which keeps it out of the optics (good) but clogs up more
quickly than a more conventional filter (bad).  We've found in dusty
environments that we have to clean the filters as often as every 2 weeks
or the projector overheats and shuts down.

2.  Switching between inputs takes 5-6 seconds, which is way too long.
For some users, when they push a button and don't get an immediate
response, they start hammering on buttons until something happens, which
only complicates things further.

We have two Panasonic PT-D7500U projectors which gave us loads of
trouble right out of the box.  These problems seem to be sorted out now,
but it took a year and three expensive shipments back to Panasonic's
repair facility in Kansas.  I know other folks have had great success
with their Panasonic projectors, but our experience has not been very
positive.

I'm hearing that Epson has dropped their educational prices on
projectors, which is making us take another good look at them.

Jeff Wagner
UC Santa Cruz

Michael Capriotti wrote:
> Hello All,
>     This list has been very quiet, but there are still 12 active members.
>
>     I have narrowed our search for projectors to a few models.  We are
> looking for to equip some small and some larger classrooms.  These will
> all be ceiling mounted/fixed installations.  If anyone has experience
> with any of the following projectors, could you give me a general
> thumbs-up or thumbs-down and any specific quirks or attributes that you
> may have found.
>
>     Also, if you a have had a particularly positive experience with a
> projector not listed, additional suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Small/Med Rooms
>
> Sanyo  PLC-XP55  (4500 lm)   XGA    LCD
> Sharp  XG-C68X    (3600 lm)   XGA    LCD
> Sharp  XG-PH50X  (4000 lm)   XGA    DLP
> NEC    MT1075      (4200 lm)   XGA    LCD
>
> Med/Large Rooms
>
> Sanyo        PLC-EF31N   (5800 lm)  SXGA     LCD
> Panasonic  PT-D5500U   (5000 lm)   XGA       DLP
> Panasonic  PT-7700U     (7000 lm)   SXGA+   DLP
> NEC           GT6000        (5300 lm)   SXGA+   LCD
>

> thanks
> Michael Capriotti
> UC Riverside

Jeff Wagner, Engineering Manager