[Sfts-students] Klein Librarian update April 2024

Phoenix Alexander phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu
Mon Apr 29 16:12:56 PDT 2024

Dear all,

"Mr. Hammond - I think we're back in business!"*
*and by 'business,' I mean 'sending a monthly update email in the correct month'

There's been an embarrassment of (new) riches at the Eaton Collection this month—particularly with regards to our comics and graphic novels holdings, which I've listed separately from the other materials—so I'll get right into it! Why have we suddenly acquired an influx of cyberpunk comics? Truly, a mystery for the ages...

Select new acquisitions in comics and graphic novels include:

  *
Anderson, Ho Che, Godhead. Fantagraphics (2018).

  *   Azzarello, Brian & Risso, Eduardo, Spaceman. Vertigo (2011). "Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso – the Eisner Award-winning creators of 100 BULLETS – return to Vertigo with their new interstellar mystery SPACEMAN, collected here in DC's Deluxe format."

  *
Baker, Dave et al, Night Hunters. Floating World Comics (2022). Venezuelan cyberpunk!
  *
Jones, Kezia & Maqari, Native, Captain Rugged. Damiani (2014). "Captain Rugged is a multimedia graphic-novel collaboration between Nigerian musicians and artists Keziah Jones (born 1968) and Native Maqari (born 1980) that describes Nigeria’s oil boom of the 1970s."

  *
Kerney, Viktor T., ed., We Belong: the All-Black, All-LGBTQ+ Sci-Fi and Fantasy Comics Anthology. Stacked Deck Press (2024).

  *
Morvan, JD & Wei Huang-Jia, Zaya. Magnetic Press (2020). This sci-fi action-mystery is told through breathtaking design and illustration by Huang-Jia Wei, known throughout the field for his bio-mechanical aesthetic and lushly painted artwork.

  *
Oropeza, Anthony, Amigoman: the Latin Avenger. Strong Avenue Studios (2003).

  *
Pauls, Cole, Dakwäkãda Warriors. Conundrum Press (2019). An Indigenous Futurism comic from Tahltan creator Cole Pauls.

  *
Pope, Paul, Heavy Liquid. Vertigo (1999). The 20th anniversary edition of the Eisner-nominated sci-fi/cyberpunk classic.

  *
Quinn, Zoé et al, Goddess Mode. DC Comics (2019). A feminist cyberpunk comic.

  *
Remender, Rick et al, Tokyo Ghost. Image Comics (2017). Near-future dystopia/cli-fi set in Los Angeles.

Way, Gerard (yes, that Gerard Way<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Way>) et al, The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys. Dark Horse Comics (2020). A feminist dystopian graphic novel that ties directly to the My Chemical Romance album Danger Days!

In non-comics materials, we have the following new arrivals:

  *
A small selection of Star Trek-related fanzines that fill gaps in our existing collections: Lighthouse #15, Plak-Tow #1-11, and Lan's Lantern #24

  *
Adams, John Joseph, & LaValle, Victor, eds., A People's Future of the United States. One World (2019).

  *
Adjei-Brenya, Nana Kwame, Friday Black. Mariner Books (2018).

  *
Burke, Chesya, Let's Play White. Apex Book Company (2011).

  *
Carl, Annie, ed., Soul Jar: Thirty-One Fantastical Tales by Disabled Authors. Forest Avenue Press (2023).

  *
Clayton, Dhonielle, ed., A Universe of Wishes: A We Need Diverse Books Anthology. Ember (2022).

  *
Farmer, Philip José, Reap: a speech against racism and sexism in the sci-fi publishing industry (1968). A rare early copy of the corrected typescript of the speech that Farmer delivered as Guest of Honor at the 26th World Science Fiction Convention (a.k.a. Baycon), held in Berkeley in 1968. This long speech was somewhat infamous at the time for being highly critical of racial discrimination of the United States in particular.

  *
Gidney, Craig Laurence, The Nectar of Nightmares. Underland Press (2022).

  *
Solomon, Rivers, Sorrowland. Picador (2021).

In other exciting news:

  *
The newly acquired Terry Carr and Carol Carr papers have been processed by our amazing archivist, Andrew Lippert, and are available for research! The finding aids may be accessed at the following links: Terry Carr papers (Terry Carr Papers (cdlib.org)<https://oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/c86h4r96/>) and Carol Carr papers (Carol Carr papers (cdlib.org)<https://oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/c8b85h1x/>).

  *
Don't forget to register for the Futurity as Praxis: Learning from Octavia E. Butler conference, to be held at the Huntington Library on May 23rd-24th, organized by our wonderful SFTS faculty. The speakers list is absolutely stacked​, and it should be an amazing event. Hope to see you there! Futurity as Praxis: Learning from Octavia E. Butler | The Huntington<https://huntington.org/event/futurity-praxis>

Until next month! Thanks, as always, for reading.

Warmth and light,

Phoenix

Recommended book of the month:  The Book of Disappearance, Ibtisam Azem (2019)

Dr. Phoenix Alexander

Jay Kay and Doris Klein Librarian for Science Fiction and Fantasy

UCR Library | University of California, Riverside

P.O. Box 5900 | Rivera Library, Room 406c

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

Office: 951.827.2840 | phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu

Department Website: https://scua.ucr.edu/

[cid:fef20e4d-7347-4368-8376-d856d9e961bb]

My pronouns are he/him/his

We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our responsibility to the original and current caretakers of this land, water, and air: the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this meeting place is home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world, including UCR faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on these homelands.