[Sfts-students] Call for Papers: ACLA Panel on Speculative Fiction and Liberation Geographies

Kameron Sanzo ksanz001 at ucr.edu
Wed Oct 7 12:05:17 PDT 2020

Dear All,

Smaran Dayal, PhD candidate at NYU working on Afrofuturist fiction, is
organizing an ACLA panel on speculative fiction and is eager to pass this
info on to folks in our department. Please see the CFP below:

Here's the call for papers:

*Speculative Fiction and Liberation Geographies*

*This panel is interested in exploring the ways that speculative and
science fiction texts, particularly those by authors of color and writers
from the global South, engage in projects of imagining otherwise worlds.
Whether these worlds are made up of abolitionist geographies beyond
carcerality where justice is enacted differently or planetary futures that
experiment with utopian and dystopian visions of how climate change and the
capitalocene/anthropocene might unfold, postcolonial speculative fiction is
a treasure house of political, ethical, and aesthetic interventions that
has only recently begun to be studied and valued appropriately. Whereas
science fiction has been more readily taken up by scholars of English and
American Studies, this panel seeks to ask what our disciplinary training
and linguistic proficiencies as comparatists might contribute to the study
of science fiction, and how we might bring them to bear on global South and
minoritarian literatures.For instance, what do we make of the scene of
alien contact in Nigeria in Tade Thompson’s Wormwood Trilogy? What are the
consequences of Nnedi Okorafor's distinction between Afro- and
Africanfuturism and how, if at all, does it map onto Black French and
African Francophone SF by authors such as Werewere Liking and Amadou
Hampâté Bâ? And how might we engage turn-of-the-century Bengali SF such as
Rokeya Hossain’s feminist utopia, Sultana’s Dream, and Jagadish Chandra
Bose’s weather-control tale in Niruddesher Kahini?*
https://acla.secure-platform.com/a/solicitations/2/sessiongallery/275

Best wishes,
Smaran

--
Smaran Dayal
(pronouns: he/him)

All the best,
Kameron

Kameron Sanzo
Ph.D. Candidate in English, M.A., B.S.M.E.
TA, Composition Instructor
University of California Riverside