[Sfts-faculty] Klein Librarian update February 2024

Phoenix Alexander phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu
Wed Feb 28 15:12:10 PST 2024

Dear all,

I hope the quarter is treating you well!

As always, a lot has been happening the last month, and I'll start with a couple of really exciting acquisitions:

  *
The Terry Carr papers. Terry was one of the most important science fiction editors of the 20th century. He published virtually every “name” in science fiction of the 1970s and 1980s. Highlights of the archive include letters and memos with references to William Gibson’s Neuromancer and Ursula Le Guin’s The Left Hand of Darkness. Includes Terry’s original Hugo Awards. The Eaton Collection already holds some of Carr's materials, and this purchase consolidates our archival holdings of a major editor of 20th century SF!

  *
The Carol Carr papers. This comprises Carol’s literary archive, including all her manuscripts, along with 158 pages of original letters to Philip K. Dick and 28 pages of original letters from Joanna Russ. (I've had a skim of these and they are incredible​).  Carol's archive in particular represents another important female writer in the SF world - still a minority in the Eaton's holdings - and her correspondence with Joanna Russ, Ursula K. Le Guin, and Philip K. Dick (among others) are extremely important in contextualizing feminist and cyberpunk SF.

  *
There are other purchases in the works, pertaining to utopian literature and Black, queer SF in particular, but more on those next month!

In other news: the Eaton at the Movies<https://insideucr.ucr.edu/stories/2024/02/26/experience-movies-eaton-collection?utm_source=Inside+UCR+Weekly+Test&utm_campaign=6601ba08c8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2024_02_28_05_45&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-6601ba08c8-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D> exhibit is now live<https://insideucr.ucr.edu/stories/2024/02/26/experience-movies-eaton-collection?utm_source=Inside+UCR+Weekly+Test&utm_campaign=6601ba08c8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2024_02_28_05_45&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-6601ba08c8-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D>! Do come along and see it in SCUA's exhibit area (located on the fourth floor of the Rivera Library) between 10am-4pm, Monday to Friday. Don't forget to sign the 'guest book' cards and shove them (gently) into our replica R2-D2's gob.

The Ancestral Futures fanzine, coordinated by Sandy Enriquez, should be ready to distribute next month, so look out for that.

Finally, I'm delighted to announce that our processing archivist Andrew Lippert has already started to process the aforementioned Carr archives.

As always, if there are any authors or subject areas you'd like me to acquire for the Eaton that would be useful for your classes or research - let me know!

Warmth and light,

Phoenix

Recommended book of the month:  Concrete Island, J. G. Ballard (1974)

Dr. Phoenix Alexander

Jay Kay and Doris Klein Librarian for Science Fiction and Fantasy

UCR Library | University of California, Riverside

P.O. Box 5900 | Rivera Library, Room 406c

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

Office: 951.827.2840 | phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu

Department Website: https://scua.ucr.edu/

[cid:1c4035e9-eccb-43f4-9f56-8e52a0bb6432]

My pronouns are he/him/his

We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our responsibility to the original and current caretakers of this land, water, and air: the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this meeting place is home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world, including UCR faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on these homelands.